This is correct ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Emmy21092

Dec 24, 2021
Em566697.
This is secondary combustion ? I’ve noticed when I do get it hotter these flames start then the stove really heats up! We have an Appalachian ZC Gemini XL 1996 insert I think anyway .. our cats need replacing and I have some on the way along with a gasket even still there is no smoke coming out of the chimney .. our wood is still not dry enough it’s been sitting for atleast a year so it’s working just takes a little longer to get it going

Can anyone tell me what temps are acceptable for a ZC insert I guess I’m paranoid about getting it too hot maybe I’m not getting it hot enough though ? Highest temps I’ve ever measure on the front are 450 can not access the stove top

I’ve been calling chimney people left and right to get an inspection and so far no luck guess they’re to busy right now ! From what I can tell in the manual I found and checking out the stove it appears to be installed correctly can anyone give me some tips or advice to make me feel better lol 3434B917-FF8A-4488-86BB-EE8457818098.jpeg 3FE18F1D-E16D-4596-8B1D-E14D28EED999.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7017.MP4
    9.4 MB
Yes, the bluish flames at the top in your movie are secondaries. That's good! They burn half-burned stuff (aka smoke), cleaning things up and providing extra heat in doing so.

How do you know you need a new cat?

(The rest i have to defer to others.)

My husband took them out and cleaned them few months ago one the notched part just fell off he put them back in the best he could I’m not sure if they’ve ever been change we bought the house with the stove already installed they seem to be working decently still though figured we just go ahead and change them

I’m only getting about 4 hour burn times before reloads too don’t know if that means anything

Without knowing what zero clearance fireplace the stove is in or if it has a full liner installed we can't really comment on whether it's installed correctly or not

The blue flames at the top are secondary's burning up some of the remaining smoke, carbons, gases etc. If you believe a cat converter is damaged in someway it absolutely should be changed up for a new cat unit in order to get maximum performance from your stove. I agree it does look like a curious install.

Last edited:
I am no expert but it looks like somebody stuck an insert inside a zero clearance ??? Am I seeing things?
Yes that's what I see as well

I’m not sure what yall mean ?
It’s a zero clearance insert I will attach a photo of the outside

If there is something not done correctly please let me know so I can stop burning in it until I can get someone out here it’s been in here for a few years

A2D7AE91-7FA6-46BD-B596-4BE6748581F7.jpeg