This is going to suck...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fishki

Jan 5, 2017
SE Kansas
It was free, it was cut, and it was loaded for me, all i have to do is cut some longer pieces down and split it all.

White Elm :oops:

IMG_3511.JPG

Reactions: Jazzberry
Yep

Quite a load. Hopefully you don't regret it as much as me filling my truck with Sycamore a few months back.

Splitter?

Never again will I split white elm, stringy stuff, only split about half that load, I'm hauling all the crotches and junk wood to the dump tomorrow. Not fighting that anymore.

At least all my splits come with their own kindling ;lol

IMG_3490.JPG

Reactions: D8Chumley
Never again will I split white elm, stringy stuff, only split about half that load, I'm hauling all the crotches and junk wood to the dump tomorrow. Not fighting that anymore.

View attachment 195367
Noooooo! Not the dump! Risk the ridicule and at least put it by the street with a craigslist ad. Someone will appreciate it more than the landfill will!

Noooooo! Not the dump! Risk the ridicule and at least put it by the street with a craigslist ad. Someone will appreciate it more than the landfill will!

Hahaha!! No we have a tree dump, someone else will go pilfer it from there, its all good :)

Bonfire ?

View attachment 195367
You may forgive yourself for bringing this home, when you see it burn. Elm sucks to split, but it does burn nice. Blue flame, almost like a gas stove.

You may forgive yourself for bringing this home, when you see it burn. Elm sucks to split, but it does burn nice. Blue flame, almost like a gas stove.
I was never all that impressed with the heat output of it. I found it to be about like ash for heat output. Not worth it to split for that I wont bring any home again.

I'll agree, it's probably on par with ash. But, I'll never turn away ash, either!

I wouldn't want elm if I were splitting by hand, but with the hydraulic splitter, I get thru it okay.

Check your alerts, bholler. Just paged you in another chimney thread.

It was free, it was cut, and it was loaded for me, all i have to do is cut some longer pieces down and split it all.

White Elm :oops:

It could be worse. I had a several splits of elm in the back of my minivan once. Someone broke into my van and left me a dozen more...
:p :p :eek: :eek: :) :) :) :) :eek: :eek: :p :p

Stack it in the sun and use it for campfire wood. I did this with my elm..we had 5 trailer loads your size.

It splits easier if you let it sit a year. The bark will fall off.

Stack it in the sun and use it for campfire wood. I did this with my elm..we had 5 trailer loads your size.

It splits easier if you let it sit a year. The bark will fall off
Yep. I split some now and then that has been dead standing for a while and you would almost say it's not elm by how easily it can split. It doesn't fly apart like ash, but only a couple more whacks and that's it. I'd toss it to the side for a year or two and let mother nature take the edge off.

When I was growing up the dutch elm disease was wiping out most of the elms and the dumps were full of the trunks. Fast forward to the arab oil embargo and everyone was burning wood and wood was in short supply. Folks were going to the dumps and hauling out 15 to 20 year old elm trunks and trying to split them for firewood. Most folks gave up. My friend built a couple of two stage splitters with plenty of capacity to split the stuff but by then the embargo went away.

Elm is the one wood I always use a splitter on. Nearly every thing else I commonly get in my woods I prefer to spit by hand. I find elm makes great firewood, so I take it every time I can. I have three or four of them in my sights for CSS this spring!

Funny how when the dutch elm disease wiped out the elms (there were a lot of them here) in the 70s, I can remember helping my dad and friends process a lot of elm firewood when I was a kid. Recently the second round of dutch elm went through. I can count the rings and date these trees back to the 70s when they must have been saplings that survived. Some of these second-round die off trees got to be quite impressive in size!

Elm is probably 80% of what I burn. And all split by hand. Three wedges, two sledges and a pry bar. Tough work but awesome heat.

Is it wrong to admit that I like elm? . . . (although in fairness I think I like it since I have a hydraulic splitter.)

Elm is pretty good firewood but definitely hydraulic territory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't think anyone doesn't like elm if its cut and split, great wood for long burn.

Nothing wrong with ELM get it down 15% and it is good stuff- Course there are always those than complain about splitting it - funny though they don't seem to complain when spliting stringy green Hickory .

So far I have maybe 3 cords of elm in my stacks, can't complain because everything I have has been free. My splitter got a workout on that load though, no way would I attempt to hand split elm.

@Jags has a great photo of elm on his splitter.

At least it doesn't rot as fast as hickory! I swear the bugs eat half my hickory before it's seasoned!

Reactions: D8Chumley