This is number one prime wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Eight years old stacked as shown top covered only,red,white oak,and some osage orange.,the pieces are as hard as stone. prime.jpgprime1.jpg

I would save these for Jan/Feb!!

Reactions: Lakeside
I am thinking the wood will need to be properly tested before you attempt to burn it...you do not want to damage your stove. Send it all to me and I will thoroughly test it and ensure it is safe to burn.
[emoji16][emoji23][emoji3][emoji3][emoji23][emoji16]

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

I would save these for Jan/Feb!!
I've got at least 5 cords of it,i'm burning all the old stuff,reason being the only stuff that will be stored outside from now on is stuff in the drying process,i've got all covered under roof and on concrete storage now except for just about 10 cords.But i know what you're saying.

Reactions: Diabel
Eight years old! You sir have the patience of jobe. I would have had to burn that osage already but i never was good at keeping my hands out of the candy bowl lol. I salute you.

Just fortunate to have unlimited access to good firewood,that stack was put up when i purchased my first BK.Four X four treated posts on top of cinder blocks,then covered with that black tar paper.Primitive set up did well.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Can you split a piece and take a picture of the moisture reading?

Eight years old stacked as shown top covered only,red,white oak,and some osage orange.
That's some premium stove chow, right there. >>
Can you split a piece and take a picture of the moisture reading?
My guess is 16%, about the lowest we get in our neck of the woods..so to speak. ;) And about the lowest you are likely to see in PA, as well..

Last edited:
That's some premium stove chow, right there. >>
My guess is 16%, about the lowest we get in our neck of the woods..so to speak. ;) And about the lowest you are likely to see in PA, as well..

I have large 40# chunks of 7 year old white oak been top covered only. I dont want to split mine to find out...

I have large 40# chunks of 7 year old white oak been top covered only. I dont want to split mine to find out...
It might not be dry yet, but are you ever in for a treat when you split it. The fragrance of White that has been sitting a while is out of this world! You immediately understand why they make bourbon barrels from it..that vanilla really comes through. :)

It might not be dry yet, but are you ever in for a treat when you split it. The fragrance of White that has been sitting a while is out of this world! You immediately understand why they make bourbon barrels from it..that vanilla really comes through. :)
I've been keeping them because they are perfect size for exactly 1 in my NC-30.

And I already had to split them a little before to square them up ;)

Reactions: Sawset
I already had to split them a little before to square them up
OK, I'm loathe to put you to the trouble but we will need pics on this one.. ==c

Yea that's Christmas morning stuff there!

Reactions: Sawset
You have a lot of primo wood if I'm remembering your earlier posts, wish you lived next door