This "old house"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a question regarding radiant floor via pex. 90% of my flooring is 5 quarter, or thinker in the original section of home. A couple floors have regular oak and chestnut hard wood flooring, of 3/4 thickness, on top. Is that to much for pex with the extruded aluminum plates to heat? If so I would have to turn to CI rads. I'm wanting the floor heat for some space savings. Not a huge fan of BB heating. Pex radiant wall heating isn't an option. All but the living room has been insulated and rocked with 5/8s. I have enough work cut out for me without redoing existing work from previous HO.

TIA for replies.

@bholler ..... So today I decided to clean my chimney, getting ready for the season. It's an accordion type SS liner, in an 8x13 clay flue. It terminates into a rectangular box at the bottom where an 8'' round penetrates it from the wood furnace. I removed the SS cap and ran the, worn to oval, 8x13 brush down and back out. 3' down from the top, I can see the liner is ruptured.

I need a new 8x13 oval SS liner of 35 linear feet. I'm assuming I can use the same termination box at the bottom? Where should I shop?
I'm guessing for a $3000 bill? I will handle labor. Have no choice ..... I don't have the new liner in the budget but, will make it work.

@bholler ..... So today I decided to clean my chimney, getting ready for the season. It's an accordion type SS liner, in an 8x13 clay flue. It terminates into a rectangular box at the bottom where an 8'' round penetrates it from the wood furnace. I removed the SS cap and ran the, worn to oval, 8x13 brush down and back out. 3' down from the top, I can see the liner is ruptured.

I need a new 8x13 oval SS liner of 35 linear feet. I'm assuming I can use the same termination box at the bottom? Where should I shop?
I'm guessing for a $3000 bill? I will handle labor. Have no choice ..... I don't have the new liner in the budget but, will make it work.
Get a mid weight or heavy wall liner. And just get a new kit no point in.reusing old stuff. If doing the work yourself it shouldn't be 3k

Reactions: all night moe
If doing the work yourself it shouldn't be 3k
I just looked on Rockford's site. 35' of 8x13.25 was at 3Gs. It required a connector for needing more than 25'. Should I be looking for a different type? Is this size correct for my clay?

Just answered my own question on their site. It's a little simpler to understand when looking at their complete kits.

Still at 3 grand....._g