dartfrogz Posted By dartfrogz, Feb 13, 2017 at 8:42 AM

1. dartfrogz

dartfrogz
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2014
    Loc:
    ct
    Not sure about anyone else but it seems the chows this year are awsome!

I had a ton of spruce pointe pellets this season. The pellet stove store said they were one of the best. Well to me, they were horrible. Lots of heavy ash and barely threw any heat and that was in the fall. I will never get them again. They were part of a barter deal so i cant complain too much but lesson learned! Also tried some bags from maine (cant remember the name tho they had a flag on the bag) they sucked too, barely any heat.

These chows this year, are burning so hot i have to keep my stove way down. Not complaining at all lol (using a very old Englander 25pdvc/55-shp10)

ive noticed other years some chows are lighter in color, those dont seem to throw as much heat as when we get the dark ones. These current pellets are the nice dark ones.

Does anyone know whos making them this year? If i had the money and space id stock up on them!

Attached Files:

vinny11950 likes this.
  2. jerl77

jerl77
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 24, 2016
    Loc:
    Brookhaven
    Just picked up three bags
    Going to see what they do
    Used them last year and I was very disappointed
    But I will give it other try..

3. Harmanizer

Harmanizer
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2012
    Loc:
    South East Massachusetts
    They are made by Energex at there Pennsylvania plant.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. stovelark

stovelark
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2009
    Loc:
    SE CT
    Haven't heard many people ever complain about spruce pointe (one of my favorite pellets in fact), but I have been burning stove chow at the store (Its what the boss bought) and have been very impressed. Nice, fluffy and very little ash. Had to see it for myself- but yep they are good this year...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    SwineFlue likes this.
  5. Joey_C

Joey_C
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 26, 2016
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I don't have a ton of experience but the Spruce Pointe I've been burning have not been burning nearly as well as the Lignetics I started the year with. Buildup in the ash pot, dirty and need to clean the stove much more often than the Lignetics. Just bought some Fireside Ultras at HD to compare. They were cheaper so we will see.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

6. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    Bucks County,Pa /North of Phila Eagles
    1st time i ever read very little ash and stove chows in the same sentence...and i burned them for a couple years but tired of the mega ash buildups.

cecil_archer likes this.
  7. stovelark

stovelark
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 10, 2009
    Loc:
    SE CT
    Hi Tony, totally agree with you, but I have seen them burn nicely this year. I still use my spruce pointe and la cretes at home, but have been burning stove chow at work, it has performed good. This year at least...

8. Joey_C

Joey_C
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 26, 2016
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Here is the ash pot running the Spruce Pointes. It clumps up in the bottom. When running the Lignetics the leftover was more fine and there was a lot less left over in there.

Attached Files:

9. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    believe ya..
    HD is mile away here so might drop in and get a couple bags to try out again..

10. Eternal10

Eternal10
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2018
    Loc:
    SE PA
    Just picked up 5 bags and will try them out.

11. vinny11950

vinny11950
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 17, 2010
    Loc:
    Eastern Long Island, NY
    Stove Chows are burning really hot this year, with big, beautiful flames for those people that like big flames, they are a treat. They are ashy, but my stove handles it fine. I'd rather have the heat.

12. Flammam

Flammam
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2007
    Loc:
    Western, Ma.
    I agree the chows are very good this year. My HD was out last weekend so I picked a few bags of Trac supply. No impressed at all.

13. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    don't think anyone ever said chows we're not Hot....
    biggest complaint has always been mountain of ash...

Pellet-King likes this.
  14. vinny11950

vinny11950
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 17, 2010
    Loc:
    Eastern Long Island, NY
    I don't remember them being this hot. But I don't keep a strict journal on pellet brands like other, more dedicated members do.

15. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    mentioned before, i'll snag a bag or 2... it's been 3 years since i burned them.

16. Pellet-King

Pellet-King
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 30, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern Ct
    There Brother pellet is Fireside Ultra's which are a softwood blend, they always burned hotter and less ash than Chow's

17. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    I think when all is said and done,
    lot depends on the stove you are using, how often you maintain it, and of course the pellets you use..
    seen many posts over the years where the same brand get both praised and trashed...
    has to be more than just the pellets at times me thinks.

vinny11950 and stovelark like this.
  18. Eternal10

Eternal10
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2018
    Loc:
    SE PA
    Burned a bag last night in my serenity and they were great. Now have them in my P68 basement dweller.