Thorough cleaning makes ALL the Difference!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Hatchling

Minister of Fire
Dec 26, 2012
New Fairfield, CT
Warm temps today let me take the pellet stove apart and give it a good clean out. I usually do it every two to three weeks or every half ton or so. This time, I broke out my new Sooteater, and went to town on the flue and vent pipes. Man oh man the amount of crap that came out of there. Allegedly, when the company which installed and had sold me the stove came out to give it it's annual cleaning, they were supposed to have cleaned the flue out. In light of the fact that I put through less than a ton of pellets since then, it is safe to say that they hadn't touched the pipe at all! It was very gratifying seeing all that stuff come out, and knowing that my system breathes as freely as it can once again.

Upon firing it up, the efficiency with which it burned was remarkable! Just as the day I bought it! Heat which was near unbearable to stay too close to came out of the blower. Ash seemed reduced. Everything is right with the world again....Clean your stoves and flue!!!

Are you ever inviting the "installer" back for a cleaning again? Sometimes it's best to do things yourself;)

NEVER! He only did it once since I bought it, but I was young and nieve, and thought I would use them annually. Now, through the wonders of Hearth.com I am more knowledged and confident to go it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.