Thoughts on my first year with woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Split

Aug 28, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Just wanted to say hello and give some thoughts on my first year burning with my new woodstove.

I would like to thank members of this site for all the information I have read over the last 9 months. Some has been very beneficial.

I bought a small 90 year old farmhouse last November. It had a oil furnace/boiler for hot water and baseboard heating. My wife, two daughters and I quickly found out the home was freezing. The bathroom floor above my small living room was tiled and like walking on ice. I would turn on the heat but it just wasn't making enough of an impact and was not heating the ice cold floors.

My wife and I decided to go wood. Cheaper and a better heat (for me anyways). We bought a beautiful PE Summit Classic LE in ivory white and black trim. Man is it cute. We love it.
I put it in the living room tucked in a corner. I wanted a cast iron stove but my small home just didn't allow the clearance needed in that room. The Good news is that there is a closet right above the corner it's in, so I could run the flue right up through the house. That means no backdrafts and better starts.

Well, long story short, we love it. It's my first experience owning a woodstove and I have lots to talk about and ask here, but that will come. The house immediately was very warm. That warmth that just envelopes you and just gets right into the walls and furniture. The upstairs bathroom floor became warm and showering became comfortable again. The condensation on my windows disappeared and the house dried up. We went from going to bed at 8 pm (cause it was so cold being under covers was the best option), to sleeping with the covers off upstairs. I mean it was a night and day difference. It was worth the money. I don't want to spend 2-3 Grand on oil heat during the winter. I burned about 3 cord from December to April.

The fire is mesmerizing the way it recycles itself in the stove. I'm enjoying the summer but looking forward to this winter lol.

But what I've really learned about is wood. I'll tell that story in 'the wood shed thread'.

Hello again and thanks for the info over the last 9 months. I'm in Nova Scotia Canada. Home of a milder, wetter winter (we get snow though) but beautiful summers.

Thanks for the review. The Summit is a great performer. You should get many years of good heat from it.