Thoughts on replacing a Lopi 1250

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Suburbanguk

Jul 25, 2021
Maine
Just moved into a 1,600 sq ft house near the coast in Downeast Maine. Home has 2 sections, about 1,200 original sq ft (600 downstairs/600 up), and a back add-on a little under 800 so ft (400d/u). The original section (1930) is heated by an oil furnace with forced air and a Lopi 1250 in the front living room.
The back is heated by a 35,000 btu propane wall furnace and floor vents to the upstairs (plus any other air we can direct that way).

The Lopi has a top vent, but is set up to go through the fireplace through an s-curve. Our chimney guy is not concerned since it catches a good draft, as long as we clean it out regularly. I’d really prefer something that rear vents for a better profile and so we can get it a few inches back into the hearth (front legs are on slate pieces at the moment).

We plan on using it most of the time in the winter.

My wife wants a larger stove, but I am afraid we’d just heat ourselves out of our 12x23 9ft ceiling living room, without getting enough heat to the colder parts of the house.

any guidance/suggestions appreciated!

image.jpg

Check out woodstock stoves, they come both in top mount and rear mount venting options, also the soap stone stoves are highly radiant.

What is the height of the fireplace? And what kind of budget do you have?
I might burn it this winter and see how you get along. Otherwise I would suggest a Blaze king insert. Or maybe a a used Jotul F500 v2 (not the new one) as you can get a short leg kit if your opening height is more than 28”(don’t hold me to that number but it’s close.).
Evan

I'm surprised that drafts well at all, particularly in milder weather. Have you considered putting in an insert instead?

Reactions: rijim and BKVP
Fireplace is 31” tall. We’ve talked about an insert but really like the look and heat of a freestanding stove. Also, we do get out fair share of day+ power outages, so may rely on the stove alone at times.

also, house is almost 2000 square feet, not 1600.

Last edited:
Some inserts can be installed without the surrounding shroud for a more freestanding look. Just a thought. It will open up more choices. Inserts that project a bit out onto the hearth will usually heat ok in a power outage. This is not a large area and heat will convect naturally up the stairwell. Getting heat to the addition house however, probably will need fan assistance.