Thoughts on replacing propane furnace with boiler and radiator furnace insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jesseh

Aug 11, 2022
NY
Leaning towards one of the heat master larger boilers. I’ve got nearly unlimited wood, splitter, etc, and already around 10 full cords ready to go. But the investment is obviously a lot. My old 3 story house was costing me around 1k in propane a month last year depending on the month. Do you guys think this is the right way to go?

Leaning towards one of the heat master larger boilers. I’ve got nearly unlimited wood, splitter, etc, and already around 10 full cords ready to go. But the investment is obviously a lot. My old 3 story house was costing me around 1k in propane a month last year depending on the month. Do you guys think this is the right way to go?
I'd do my research a little more before I'd pull the trigger on a Heatmaster / CB.

If you are spending up to 1k/mo then you can make a HM pay for itself in a pretty reasonable amount of time I'd say...especially at the current and forecasted fuel prices!
And don't forget about the 26% tax credit on the boiler, and the full install, through Dec of this year...drops to 21% next year, then gone.
Which model do you lean toward size wise? Chances are a G4000 will do the job, unless you have other buildings/heat load too...

I think they recommended the g7000 for the size house I have, old and 3 stories. I was told at least 10 cords per year as far as wood usage goes

It's certainly possible that it would take a G7...how many gallons of LP were you going through in a winter? And burning it in what exactly?
My coworker heats a 3000 ft (newer build) ranch house and garage with a G4000 and he said it absolutely plays with that load...many days with once per day loading (and a partial load at that)
10 cords per year sounds like plenty to me...my folks just replaced an old CB with a G10000 last year and they used somewhere in that range to heat (2) 1500(ish) ft farm houses and a 30x40' shop, also a 40x60' shop (don't hold me to those sizes, but I'm close)...and that is with the old junk underground line still being used...new line going in the ground any day now...that should knock the wood usage down even more...even if it didn't, they have already cut wood usage in half, at least...was somewhere in the 22 cord/year before with the CB.