Three pipes above damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jdclarey

Oct 8, 2020
Fargo, ND
Im looking at buying a wood stove insert for our fireplace (currently looking at the Summit LE as we have a large space and the LE is one of the few inserts that isn't flush and has a 3.0' firebox).

We have a 1980s home with a good chimney, but when I talked with an installer, he said the three pipes we have running horizontally just above our damper won't allow a liner to be dropped in.

What do these pipes do? Why can't he or I just cut them out along with as much damper as needed?

thanks!

Your installer doesn’t know you can cut the old heatilator pipes out of the FP? Or they just don’t want to?

I would find another installer. That’s generally part of paying someone to install your stuff....

Your installer doesn’t know you can cut the old heatilator pipes out of the FP? Or they just don’t want to?

I would find another installer. That’s generally part of paying someone to install your stuff....

I talked to him about it and he said, "I don't like to get metal shavings in my eyes" Needless to say, I found a new installer.

Reactions: Dustin