through floor vents

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tobaccogrower

Jan 9, 2010
Suffield Ct
we have a floor register/vent directly above out stove. it lets alot of heat upstairs with the stair door open. were thinking about putting one in the bedroom to serve as a return vent for cold air to create a convection currant. it would be at the opposet end of the hose. the cold end, farthest

i see that people us fusable link fire dampers. where do i purchase these? 027.JPG028.JPG

I put in two small vents recently with 250 cfm fans from downstairs to up. It seems to work well.

Ive been thinking of this as well although Im not sure that it will pass with the building inspector and my insurance company. I heard here that you can have them put in that will close if there is a fire issue in your home. I spoke with the company that installed my stove and they had never heard of them, this is in Canada so the fire code could be different. My wife is happy that ive stopped telling her I was going to put a hole in the hard wood! Next call is to the insurance company.

I would personally check with the local building inspector before proceeding. That first picture looks like it could potentially be dangerous.

why do you think it could be dangerous? that vent has been there 100 years. the building inspector inspected my dutchwest install in the same place and passed it.

why do you think it could be dangerous? that vent has been there 100 years. the building inspector inspected my dutchwest install in the same place and passed it.

Good enough, hopefully it will be standing 100 yrs from now. If your building inspector and you are comfortable, fine.

I personally think it is a questionable practice that the stove pipe is directly beneath, and aimed, at an opening into another room. CO and fire could possibly (though I agree not probably) be directed into room above, thru the vent. If I were sleeping in the room above that the vent communicates with, I would want a CO and fire alarm in the upstairs room.

Curious if "firefighterjake" has an opinion?

I cut a small vent into the ceiling above my stove that leads into the spare bedroom above the stove room. I then put a small fan in the bedroom blowing down into the stove room and it is working great. It creates a small vacuum in the bedroom which pulls the warm air up the stairwell and into the room. Meanwhile it also bleeds some off into the master bedroom as well. Between that and the fan on the floor of the hallway blowing into the stove room, I'm very please with the circulation I have going now.

Good enough, hopefully it will be standing 100 yrs from now. If your building inspector and you are comfortable, fine.

I personally think it is a questionable practice that the stove pipe is directly beneath, and aimed, at an opening into another room. CO and fire could possibly (though I agree not probably) be directed into room above, thru the vent. If I were sleeping in the room above that the vent communicates with, I would want a CO and fire alarm in the upstairs room.

Curious if "firefighterjake" has an opinion?

the room above is a hallway.

when it comes to CO/smoke alarms, there are 7 in our 1800sf home. one in the basement, 3 on first floor and 3 on second floor.also, just plain smoke detectors in the bedrooms. all co/smoke detectors are interconnected. we also have a huge fire extinguisher in our bedroom.

i'm going to be installing a fusable link duct above the stove for safety though.

the room above is a hallway.

when it comes to CO/smoke alarms, there are 7 in our 1800sf home. one in the basement, 3 on first floor and 3 on second floor.also, just plain smoke detectors in the bedrooms. all co/smoke detectors are interconnected. we also have a huge fire extinguisher in our bedroom.

i'm going to be installing a fusable link duct above the stove for safety though.

Sounds like your in better shape than alot of folks so i wouldnt sweat it. People who have burnt wood for years dont get real nervous but there are some people feel more comfortable with all the latest codes and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.