Through the foundation pellet stove install.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Looking to get a castle serenity stove put in basement. The instalIer I’m talking with said that going through the foundation will be best, so as to allow for the needed clearances to window. He’s including an OAK as part of install. By design, anything wrong with through the foundation pellet installs?

Looking to get a castle serenity stove put in basement. The instalIer I’m talking with said that going through the foundation will be best, so as to allow for the needed clearances to window. He’s including an OAK as part of install. By design, anything wrong with through the foundation pellet installs?

Are you saying go through the sill plate or through the concrete foundation?

Are you saying go through the sill plate or through the concrete foundation?
Installer referenced drilling hole through wall and foundation above the baseboard heater (electric). No mention of sill plate.

Installer referenced drilling hole through wall and foundation above the baseboard heater (electric). No mention of sill plate.

I guess I'm a little confused in your/his terminology. I think of the foundation as being a concrete basement wall. The sill plate sits atop the foundation with the walls on top of the sill plate. Your house may configured differently.

Either way is ok to install as long as the CTC requirements are met.
My P61A is thru concrete block & I have installed thru poured foundations
& thru the box joist ABOVE the sill plate...

Either way is ok to install as long as the CTC requirements are met.
My P61A is thru concrete block & I have installed thru poured foundations
& thru the box joist ABOVE the sill plate...

The box joist is what I meant to refer to as opposed to the sill plate. I have run many a pipe and vent through the box joist on my home, but I wouldn't want to core bore the foundation to bring a vent outside, although it would be easier than cutting out an entire door entry in the foundation as I did with an addition a couple of years ago. Clearance requirements are the key.

I went through the concrete foundation in our basement install as it was really the only way to meet all combustible clearances. I can send you some pics if you're interested, just let me know! Same stove too, by the way!