miller.rob91 Posted By miller.rob91, Oct 24, 2018 at 5:16 PM

1. miller.rob91

miller.rob91
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 2, 2018
    Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    My stove is in the basement and has no problem heating the first floor of my ranch in NEPA. An issue I am having is that my master bed and bath are above the garage, the bedroom stays warm enough but the bathroom is still cold because it has 2 exterior walls and is above the garage. I am looking to run a fan through the wall from the main living area to the bathroom. I am trying to find one that can be hardwired to a light switch. Basically I need help choosing how many cfm and size. Thank you in advance for your help!

-rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. greg13

greg13
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 5, 2012
    Loc:
    CNY
    I think I would try a floor fan first and see if that does the job you want. It may be easier and work better to just add a space heater in the bathroom.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. The.Devo

The.Devo
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 26, 2018
    Loc:
    MA
    Do you really want to be sitting in the living room and hear someone taking a dump or worse yet, smelling it?

Jotel me this likes this.
  4. miller.rob91

miller.rob91
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 2, 2018
    Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Yes...

saewoody and Jotel me this like this.
  5. Jotel me this

Jotel me this
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 21, 2018
    Loc:
    Pennsylvania

as long as you dont drill a hole in any wall sharing the garage you should be fine.

ive heard these are pretty good and hardwired:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Broan-5-in-Hardwired-Through-Wall-Fan/1266273

you can buy on amazon as well:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001501LHK/?tag=hearthamazon-20

concerning size... it shouldnt matter too much here. youre trying to move warm air from room to room, not exhausting moist air to outside. id place the fan as high to the ceiling as possible.

6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Due to our home's configuration and flow of the warmed air the master bedroom and bathroom are the coolest rooms in the house. I like the bedroom cooler and use an electric blanket . . . we use a small electric space heater while showering (although not in the shower of course.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Leroy
    not a fan of Broan products particularly the lower end -really cheap open frame motors that die in a year or 2

8. festerw

festerw
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 16, 2009
    Loc:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Instead of a fan buy a towel warmer. Keeps the bathroom warm and bonus points for warm fluffy towels.

We've got this one, first one lasted 6 years before the switch have out, current one is 2 years old.

LCM Home Fashion 6-Bar Freestanding Towel Warmer, Drying Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FYY3FK/?tag=hearthamazon-20

9. miller.rob91

miller.rob91
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 2, 2018
    Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    That actually heats the bathroom?

10. festerw

festerw
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 16, 2009
    Loc:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    I wouldn't say heats but it makes a noticeable difference in our 10x12 bathroom since it's at the farthest point from the pellet stove.

11. zrock

zrock
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 2, 2017
    Loc:
    bc
    Do you have a forced air furnace? Have you tried just turning the furnace blower only on?

12. miller.rob91

miller.rob91
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 2, 2018
    Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    I have central ac but hot water baseboard heat. I guess I could turn the fan on but I would have to cut a return in the duct in the basement to move the hot air. Do you think that would work?

13. zrock

zrock
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 2, 2017
    Loc:
    bc
    Don't think u would have to cut anything.. the air movement should do it

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

14. Dobish

Dobish
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2015
    Loc:
    Golden CO
    having moved into a house that loved to have bathroom fans blowing directly into other great spaces like bathrooms and kitchens, i don't really think its worth it to have a fan to try and circulate air in this manner.

Also, those little towel bar heaters do an ok job in smaller bathrooms.