Through the wall stove pipe installation- HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pitmom61

Oct 21, 2022
Middle Island NY
My husband is putting in our new woodstove with a through the wall installation. He is using a single wall pipe going through a thimble; the wall is wood studs and wallboard.
Shouldn’t the pipe that goes from inside the house to outside the house be a double wall? I’m afraid he’s going to burn the house down…

It depends on the thimble and what is surrounding it. If there is no protection then any combustible needs to be 18" away. If the thimble is an insulated one made for this purpose and installed properly then it's ok. A picture many help show the concerns.

My husband is putting in our new woodstove with a through the wall installation. He is using a single wall pipe going through a thimble; the wall is wood studs and wallboard.
Shouldn’t the pipe that goes from inside the house to outside the house be a double wall? I’m afraid he’s going to burn the house down…
You are probably right to be afraid but we need some more details to be sure

It depends on the thimble and what is surrounding it. If there is no protection then any combustible needs to be 18" away. If the thimble is an insulated one made for this purpose and installed properly then it's ok. A picture many help show the concerns.
It’s sealed up already, so I can’t get a picture of the thimble itself

3843E10D-B5F6-4E55-B769-FBB19EC5B76D.jpeg

We can not see behind walls either. What was used?
If this is a Hearthstone I stove, it is supposed to have 18" clearance to the studs behind it. Cement board does not reduce this clearance.