Through wall chimney thimble around plywood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmsquared

Feb 5, 2013
Putting an Englander 30NC in our greenhouse, and I have a DuraPlus/Duravent through-the-wall kit to run the pipe out the plywood wall. I am wondering if i need to take any precautions with the surrounding area being that it's all wood. And also wondering if it matters that I'm going through such a thin wall instead of what the thimble is designed for (an actual deep wall with insulation). I was thinking about maybe cutting out a square bigger than the thimble and putting in some sheet metal instead of the wood...or if anyone had any other ideas to make it safe, let me know. This is my first stove install so go easy on me...
IMG_1200.JPG

Follow the required clearances to combustibles and you will be fine

Put a square of plywood or cement board across the studs and you will have the depth for the thimble. The thimble will maintain the necessary clearances to the class A stub coming from the outside class A tee.

Last edited:
The through the wall kit may show framing dimensions as well. Ideally (at least with the selkirk) if you follow their framed rough opening for the pipe, when you mount the support it will tie into studs rather than just plywood.

In short. Add horizontal blocking if needed. Plus what BG said with a sheet of something on the inside.

Yes, blocking is recommended for DuraPlus too. This was not an option when we installed a thimble in a yurt, thus we used plywood for the inside.
Here are the DuraPlus installation instructions. www.duravent.com/docs/product/L119_W.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.