Through wall fans??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
ok Isle Royale is up and going but now i want to install through wall fans connected to a single pole electric thermostat so they will only come on when its demanded. I looked online and there are thousands. Wonderng if anyone has any trial and error with through wall fans? Im sure some are crazy loud which i dont want i want quiet ones . Any info would be great thanks in advance

Lots of threads here about moving the heat. One thing we have learned though is that it is often more effective to blow cooler air, low, toward the warm. I would recommend taking a regular 12" table fan and putting it on the floor, in the cooler area, pointed toward the stove. Run it on low speed and see if that makes a nice difference. If it does, you have a solution and can either live with the simple fix or make it more permanent.

Penn fan,got it at Mcmaster-carr.com

woodmiser is the fan quiet and does it move the air pretty good ?

I don't know. I just looked it up and posted it. I use a Lasko table fan from the 80's. It's very quiet.

lol i just think its nuts to have the living room and kitchen 81 degrees and have to put the electric heat on in the bedrooms at night

Chrism said:
lol i just think its nuts to have the living room and kitchen 81 degrees and have to put the electric heat on in the bedrooms at night

I have the same problem. Our master bedroom is the furthest room from our stove. The entire house is nice and warm except for the bedroom. There has been some days when our bedroom is under 60 degrees and the living room is 80. I've got a fan blowing at the end of the hall which helps, but doesn't solve the problem. I'd love to put a vent or fan from the living room to the bedroom, except we have oak wall paneling that I don't really want to touch.

I'm putting a register in the ceiling with an in-line fan connected to dryer hose, route it to bedrooms but instead of a switch I'm hooking a single pole electric thermostat so I'll will do that and keep everyone posted. I started the process tonight I taped a thermometer to the ceiling to see what temperature difference there was from the floor to the ceiling 5 to 6 degree difference. Never thought I'd be happy to have cathedral ceilings but that cathedral traps the heat so it will work to my benefit.

Chrism said:
I'm putting a register in the ceiling with an in-line fan connected to dryer hose, route it to bedrooms but instead of a switch I'm hooking a single pole electric thermostat so I'll will do that and keep everyone posted. I started the process tonight I taped a thermometer to the ceiling to see what temperature difference there was from the floor to the ceiling 5 to 6 degree difference. Never thought I'd be happy to have cathedral ceilings but that cathedral traps the heat so it will work to my benefit.

Might be best to have a high and low vent. Fan in the low blowing the cold room air out. The upper vent will let warm air in to replace the cool air you are blowing out.

Our master bathroom is one of the farthest rooms from the stove room. I'm installing a programmable electric wall heater in there just to keep the chill off. I don't mind spending a few bucks to make my wife happy.

41hDTETBv4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I would recommend the Air-Share. Made by www.tjernlund.com Good company and they make floor to floor as well as room to room units. They have been used extensively in the HVAC industry, but should get better play in hearth. As soon as I get my stove installed I'll be putting on in to move heat from the living room to the sun room.

Status
Not open for further replies.