Through wall stove pipe connector too close to joists.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Traveler004

Sep 18, 2019
Quebec
chimney.jpg
Ignore my bags stuffed in to block the wind from coming in. ;lol
If a put the stove pipe connector on here it will be 5.5" from the joists. (The smaller end of the connector will be 7.5" from the joist but I don't think I can use the small end of the connector to measure.)

So, can I put a 30 degree off set class a chimney on here (instead of the 45 degree double wall stove pipe i had originally planed on) This would mean the stove pipe connector will be about 10" from the joists.

I see no reason why I can't continue with the class A pipe inside the house as long as I'm going downward here and not horizontal. I'm just not see examples of it anywhere. but I suppose someone could go though the wall on the main floor and continue the class a chimney pipe down to the basement as which point they put on their stove pipe connector, right?

I guess i'm really questioning myself because I've read a bunch of posts where people have this issue with being too close to the ceiling joist and no one is offering this as a solution. Everyone says "heat shield" not "continue the Class A pipe down away from the joists"

I am also putting on the heat shield but a heat shield alone isn't going to be good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 250502
Ignore my bags stuffed in to block the wind from coming in. ;lol
If a put the stove pipe connector on here it will be 5.5" from the joists. (The smaller end of the connector will be 7.5" from the joist but I don't think I can use the small end of the connector to measure.)

So, can I put a 30 degree off set class a chimney on here (instead of the 45 degree double wall stove pipe i had originally planed on) This would mean the stove pipe connector will be about 10" from the joists.

I see no reason why I can't continue with the class A pipe inside the house as long as I'm going downward here and not horizontal. I'm just not see examples of it anywhere. but I suppose someone could go though the wall on the main floor and continue the class a chimney pipe down to the basement as which point they put on their stove pipe connector, right?

I guess i'm really questioning myself because I've read a bunch of posts where people have this issue with being too close to the ceiling joist and no one is offering this as a solution. Everyone says "heat shield" not "continue the Class A pipe down away from the joists"

I am also putting on the heat shield but a heat shield alone isn't going to be good enough.
Yes a 30 degree class a elbow will work

Reactions: Traveler004
I have a problem. The selkirk stove pipe elbows only come in 45 degrees. And Class A chimney pipes do not and you aren't allowed to combine a 30 and 15 to get a 45. Can I use a 30 degree plus the stove pipe connector a 45 degree selkirk double wall, a straight piece and then an adjustable imperial single wall elbow to make a 15 degree. I'd be mixing stove pipe types and manufactures. I know Duratech has a double wall adjustable but it's not available here.

I have a problem. The selkirk stove pipe elbows only come in 45 degrees. And Class A chimney pipes do not and you aren't allowed to combine a 30 and 15 to get a 45. Can I use a 30 degree plus the stove pipe connector a 45 degree selkirk double wall, a straight piece and then an adjustable imperial single wall elbow to make a 15 degree. I'd be mixing stove pipe types and manufactures. I know Duratech has a double wall adjustable but it's not available here.
Can you get ventis double wall? I know they make a 15 which with the 30 makes your 45

Reactions: Traveler004
Can you get ventis double wall? I know they make a 15 which with the 30 makes your 45
Nice, yes i can. I found a ventis 30 elbow. So no problem sticking ventis on a selkirk pipe connector?

Nice, yes i can. I found a ventis 30 elbow. So no problem sticking ventis on a selkirk pipe connector?
What type of pipe connector? If you are talking about the connector on the chimney no that isn't a problem. If you are talking about a double wall connector you can't do that

What type of pipe connector? If you are talking about the connector on the chimney no that isn't a problem. If you are talking about a double wall connector you can't do that
The piece that connects the class a to the stove pipe. It came in the wall support kit.
To be more accurate. i'll need to connect the "class A to black stove pipe connector" to a straight piece of ventis, then the ventis 30 then another straight ventis to attach to the stove.

Still waiting for some sales guy to call back. its not very motivating to call for an elbow purchase. I don't know if it's like this in the u.s. or e.u. but something is going on here with many of the best manufacturing intentionally not selling to individuals or big box stores so that middle sales people can have a job. They sell packages at high prices. They sometimes will sell you parts, but its difficult for them, and i get that, to find the time.... So update for those to follow. 30+45+45 can in fact = 90 degrees. you just need to rotate each piece until you get the angle you need. a bit like an adjustable 90 degree elbow but each of your pieces are not connected yet. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that before. You need 3 elbows to make it work, but it works well.

Last edited:
Any combination of those 3 would get to 90 deg by turning the joints, and in any order.
Sorry but that is so not a true statement. In fact if you put them normally you get 120 degrees and I believe the min would be 30 degrees (but not sure) It looks like you can make any angle between 120 and 30. but you definitely won't get 90 in any order.