Tiling around stove - Which adhesive should I use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

frased

Apr 1, 2018
MA
It's been a couple of years of burning. I never finished the last step of tiling the cement board around my stove. Want to knock this out before burning season kicks in! Can't stand looking at the cement board anymore either LOL

My question around the tile adhesive itself. I believe there are certain types of adhesive I should use that is less susceptible to combustion or flammable correct?

Mortar.

In particular Thin set like sturdi-flex, full-flex, super flex or whatever they sell in the tile section of your local home improvement store.

Reactions: frased
It's been a couple of years of burning. I never finished the last step of tiling the cement board around my stove. Want to knock this out before burning season kicks in! Can't stand looking at the cement board anymore either LOL

My question around the tile adhesive itself. I believe there are certain types of adhesive I should use that is less susceptible to combustion or flammable correct?
Don't use an adhesive. The tile should be set in latex-modified thinset.

Thanks! The place I'm buying the tiles from is a classic masonry supply house so they should hopefully have the Thinset you mentioned.

Thanks! The place I'm buying the tiles from is a classic masonry supply house so they should hopefully have the Thinset you mentioned.

They will, its super common.

do not get anything premixed.
make sure it’s a powder that you add water too and you should be good.
it will get hard like concrete and won’t burn or melt.