Tiling questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Rip out the linoleum. Assuming it is a sheet not square tiles. If square tiles, make sure they are not asbestos containing squares. If they are leave them in place.
If no asbestos, Then check the subfloor. It may also need to be replaced.
Now you can start fresh with whatever flooring you want.

Vinyl planks or tiles may claim to be waterproof, but what the manufacturers mean by that is that the material itself will not be harmed by water during the warranty period. Water splashing onto the floor can still get around the edges. If you decide to use vinyl planks or tiles, put a waterproof membrane below them. It's possible to get mold growth between the membrane and the bottom of the vinyl.

Sheet vinyl is waterproof unless there are seams. If it is skillfully installed then the seams should also be waterproof, but many installers are not that skillful. Consumer grade sheet vinyl can be abraded or gouged. Generally good looking, much tougher commercial sheet vinyl is available.

No grout sealant will last more than a few years at best. Waterproof grout is available, but it also needs to be very carefully installed to avoid pinholes. A waterproof membrane is also a good idea behind tile. Some of the paint-on crack isolation membranes are also waterproof.

A more complete but more complex approach is to build the bathroom floor much like a shower floor, including a slight slant to move water towards a discrete floor drain. There are some plumbing-specific forms of sheet vinyl that are designed for use as part of a shower floor.

I’m curious about the linoleum in your first-floor bath that you mentioned. Is it actual real linoleum made out of linseed oil, or is it a vinyl product that’s just called linoleum? I’m afraid that I don’t know the answer to the question about tiling over either, but I’m always curious when someone mentions having a linoleum floor.
I don't know, it's from the mid-1980s. Mostly she has been leaning toward tile because of the color and design control. I am still hoping marmoleum tiles win out. I also mentioned cork, but she doesn't want a dark flooring there.

Don’t forget about the tile adhesive. They had asbestos too.

Interesting point and a potential reason for tiling or marmoleum over the current floor.

I reccomend regrout by mapei

KERACOLOR U UNSANDED GROUT

mixed with

UltraCare Grout Maximizer​

if the grouts are very thin as I imagine. Dig them out as much as possible before regrout.
Thanks for the tip. I am on their website checking them out. Are these products sold in the US? Looks like Lowes might carry them.

What is the difference between "cementious" grouts and "unsanded" grouts? According to their website, Keracolor is not recommended for wet areas. The chart lists Ultracolor Plus for this application. Is that unsanded?

The grout seams are 1/8" I think,

Last edited:
Reactions: Prometeo
Thanks for the tip. I am on their website checking them out. Are these products sold in the US?

What is the difference between "cementious" grouts and "unsanded" grouts? According to their website, Keracolor is not recommended for wet areas. The chart lists Ultracolor Plus for this application. Is that unsanded?

The grout seams are 1/8" I think,
They are products available in the U.S. in Italy they have slightly different names, I specifically did research in the U.S. mapei. Keracolor as you noticed, there is "sanded" and "unsanded" I recommend "unsanded" because your grouts are already present, you won't be able to expel them completely. "unsanded" is thinner, without sand, and it will be able to become hard and stick even if you apply little depth. "sanded" would like a greater thickness so as not to crumble. Ultracolor is an excellent product, better than keracolor, if the grouts needed to be completely filled, but you have too little depth in my opinion, Ultracolor is with sand, essentially, not good in my opinion in this case. So how to make Keracolor "unsanded" as good as ultracolor? Mixing it with the second product instead of water. It is a latex that makes the product water-repellent and very resistant. I did this reconstruction at my in-laws' shower, blocking infiltrations completely, and the grouts are still as white as they were 7-8 years ago when I made them. However, on this page you can find information and advice from them directly (for free)

If you proceed with that solution I will be able to give further advice on how to proceed.

Reactions: begreen
European terminology is different.

Unsanded is a much tighter product, much finer (before mixing with water).

It is the same (type of) difference between cement and mortar (= cement plus sand (plus lime)).

For water exposed material (like shower grout), if you can work with small volume (thickness) unsanded is better. Doing that too thick it'll crack.

Good to know, thanks for the great information. I will be calling in some tiling folks for consultation soon to come up with a remediation plan.

Reactions: Prometeo