Tiling the wall behind the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatdonkey

Dec 15, 2014
West Norriton, PA
I plan to finally finish the tile job behind the wood stove tomorrow, but I have a question.

It is supposed to be cold over night saturday and sunday. If i were to tile the wall friday, will there be any issues with the thinset and a good amount of heat?

I would assume it would be okay. Maybe even help the thinset firm up easier with the heat. If its not a good idea ill just hold off till the next warm couple of days.

You don't want to rush its drying. This is the guidance from Versabond:
Ambient temperature should be maintained above 50° F (10° C) or below 100° F (38° C) for 72 hours to achieve proper bond.

Can you run a load and see how hot it's getting behind the wall? I'd probably wait because the last thing you want is a bad bond on the thinset and then have tiles popping off. Tiling once takes plenty of time as it is, don't want to do be doing it twice! I just finished tiling two bathroom floors so that thought is fresh in mind.

Reactions: phatdonkey
Can you run a load and see how hot it's getting behind the wall? I'd probably wait because the last thing you want is a bad bond on the thinset and then have tiles popping off. Tiling once takes plenty of time as it is, don't want to do be doing it twice! I just finished tiling two bathroom floors so that thought is fresh in mind.

Im gonna hold off for a few days that i dont need the stove heat.

I hear ya in it taking a good amount of time. Just finished a tile job at my sister in laws house. Her ex tore the bathroom apart and then left her. So i picked up the slack. Huge bathroom, floor to ceiling with 3x6 subway tile. Looks great but took forever.

Yup, you want thinset to dry nice and slow. Even when you think it is dry in 24 hrs., it's still curing.

Just finished tiling the wall up to where the mantel will be. Tomorrow i will grout and then wait till Thursday to burn again. This is probanly the last week ill be able to not burn or run the furnace.

Mantel is an old building beam. 90+ year old Fur beam. Gonna cut it down to 6 feet and it will extend 6" past each side of the tile. Itll be 8" deep and 3" thick. Not sure if i will finish it or not. I think it will look nice with the front edge rough cut, but the rest nice and smoothed out. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 2015-11-09 22.20.51.jpg
    2015-11-09 22.20.51.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 115
Nice work on the subway tile. I like tiling but, man, it's such a tedious process. Every step you have to wait for 24-48 hours before moving on
Tell me about it just finished a side job with my brother in law the flooring guru. Tiling an auto shop waiting room, reception area, and office man what a job. Pay was nice though and outta the mans greedy hands if you know what I mean!

Status
Not open for further replies.