Timberline Wood Stove install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

celflex

Jan 4, 2018
Detroit Metro
I just got a Timberline wood stove from a co worker who got a new set up.
I thought it would be pretty straight forward but.... theirs no easy way to vent this chimney.
this is where i'm at with location and piping it.

my mentality is i could get a little closer with the double wall 90/45s off the back, i was going to install hardieboard behind it and the area where it enters the truss's.

the reason the pipe has to run that way is to get it closer to the center of the roof.

i would appreciate any input.

Attachments

• IMG_7330.jpg
    IMG_7330.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 195
Me personally I would not worry about being in the center and would run that pipe straight up!

Reactions: celflex
i'm not worried about it being in the center i'm worried about a 10ft piece of pipe looking like poop coming out of my barn lol

Attachments

• IMG_7046.jpg
    IMG_7046.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 191
heres what the barn looks like.
the difference of coming out of the lower part of the 12/12 part vs the lower part of the 4/12 is a lot of pipe just hanging out.

Attachments

• IMG_6837.jpg
    IMG_6837.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 132
i'm not worried about it being in the center i'm worried about a 10ft piece of pipe looking like poop coming out of my barn lol
I can understand that...I was tormented by the same scenario with my house install...BUT I was worried about draft and did not want 45s or 90s at all since I would be cleaning it myself...how much total pipe are you going to run? A chase would make the straight up install a lot easier to look at..

Also is there any reason with the stove can't be moved and centered?

i just wish this had the pipe coming out of the top. id feel much better about the 2 45s

pipe length is 18ft how it currently is.
2 3ft single and 12ft double

This is the only logical spot i can put it, if it was in the center i wouldn't be able to park 2 cars and my tractor.

i like the chase idea tho, i could build it out of metal studs and metal roofing.

my preference is how i currently have it, i'm just worried about draft and burning my barn down.

This is the only logical spot i can put it, if it was in the center i wouldn't be able to park 2 cars and my tractor.

i like the chase idea tho, i could build it out of metal studs and metal roofing.

my preference is how i currently have it, i'm just worried about draft and burning my barn down.
Gotcha....I am going to add a metal chase to my set up this spring.

Have you checked local codes and with your insurance company about putting a stove in a garage? It is not allowed in most areas. And many insurance companies w ont cover it. Also you do know you need 36" of clearsnce to combustibles. That can be reduced to 12 if you do a ventilated heat sheild.

And btw i would go straight up as well

I’m waiting to hear back from insurance company.

City code... not planning on involving them.

Everywhere I read or people I talk to say triple wall is code. I will not be using triple wall. Everything I have with it (except 2 45s) has been used with it Since it was installed in previous home.

Yes. we would all run it straight up.
But will it work in it’s current configuration safely when my weekend warrior mode kicks in and I want to work in this freezing weather.
That’s the real question. Lol

Plus I can’t be the first person to have a 45deg stretch before going up.

I’m waiting to hear back from insurance company.

City code... not planning on involving them.

Everywhere I read or people I talk to say triple wall is code. I will not be using triple wall. Everything I have with it (except 2 45s) has been used with it Since it was installed in previous home.

Yes. we would all run it straight up.
But will it work in it’s current configuration safely when my weekend warrior mode kicks in and I want to work in this freezing weather.
That’s the real question. Lol

Plus I can’t be the first person to have a 45deg stretch before going up.
No triple wall is not code. A class a chimney once you go through a wall or ceiling is code. That can be either a ht rated triple wall or an ht rated insulated double wall which is better. What are you using?

And to be clear if you install it in clear violation of code and something happens your insurance company absolutly can deny the claim even if they ok it to start with.

Yes 45s will work but that does not mean it is the best way to do it.

Everytime I post it then updates and I see someone’s comment.

If it’s used maybe 15-20 weekends a year and will work and not look like crap having some funky make shift chase or pipe hanging 10ft off the back of my barn.
But if I’m at a higher risk of losing my barn then that’s clearly not an option.
Which I don’t feel like that’s the case with what I’ve read and seen this far using the search bar.

Attachments

• 8BCEC243-1662-4E2E-8DFD-E7F41BF4A111.jpeg
    8BCEC243-1662-4E2E-8DFD-E7F41BF4A111.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 164
Everytime I post it then updates and I see someone’s comment.

If it’s used maybe 15-20 weekends a year and will work and not look like crap having some funky make shift chase or pipe hanging 10ft off the back of my barn.
But if I’m at a higher risk of losing my barn then that’s clearly not an option.
Which I don’t feel like that’s the case with what I’ve read and seen this far using the search bar.
That chimney is just fine. And as long as you support the pipe and honor all clearances 36" for the stove 18" for the pipe and 2" for the chimney you should be ok safety wise. The 45s will look goofy and hurt draft a little but should work. The code issues are on you if you choose to ignore code you may have insurance issues if anything happens.

Got it plumbed up and roaring.
Draft seemed fine.
Pipes got, I see the need for triple.
Going to metal stud and hardbacker board all the way to where it exits just for piece of mind.
Maybe double up the 1/2 hardie behind the stove.

Attachments

• 1F00C86F-D506-4D5E-8DD7-F7C9120C468D.jpeg
    1F00C86F-D506-4D5E-8DD7-F7C9120C468D.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 4450E8C3-B11B-4EB9-8C27-5C0E43D15D19.jpeg
    4450E8C3-B11B-4EB9-8C27-5C0E43D15D19.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 206
  • CB2564FE-4A2E-4BE9-AD87-3B6C68830506.jpeg
    CB2564FE-4A2E-4BE9-AD87-3B6C68830506.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 212
Got it plumbed up and roaring.
Draft seemed fine.
Pipes got, I see the need for triple.
Going to metal stud and hardbacker board all the way to where it exits just for piece of mind.
Maybe double up the 1/2 hardie behind the stove.
Ok is that sitting on a wood floor? You do realize how wrong that is right???? You also need some proper support for that chimney. It does not look secure at all.

The chimney has the support they said I needed a slip locking collar thing.
Just with the upper one in I couldn’t even push it down If I wanted to, i actually tried. Plus I had to use a jack to press the pipe into the collar.
The strap at the bottom is to hold it center but the way the metal is positioned it’s under the 45 and won’t allot it to drop.

I actually had it sitting on blocks at 18in but... it sat on a floor for 40 years...
it can sit another 40 and I’ll use common sense with fuel storage.

The chimney has the support they said I needed a slip locking collar thing.
Just with the upper one in I couldn’t even push it down If I wanted to, i actually tried. Plus I had to use a jack to press the pipe into the collar.
The strap at the bottom is to hold it center but the way the metal is positioned it’s under the 45 and won’t allot it to drop.

I actually had it sitting on blocks at 18in but... it sat on a floor for 40 years...
it can sit another 40 and I’ll use common sense with fuel storage.
I thought it looked like a wood floor in the one pic but i looked again and it is concrete sorry. It really should atleast be raised. That is the common sense thing to do.

Reactions: Tar12