Tipping wood sellers for delivery?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to thank all y'all for all your opinions, and French lessons, its been interestin. JD

There's a difference between a "tip" and a "bribe." I've been approached at times by Suppliers who are under scrutiny for Qualification as one of our "Approved" Suppliers. It's UNETHICAL to accept a "gift" and I think personally, it's "unethical" to offer a gift for preferential treatment. If I order a cord, and it ain't a cord; or if I asked for 16 - 18 logs, and half the load is 20," I'm paying him less than his price or I might refuse his load, altogether. If I order "Dry/Seasoned" and he brings me "wet/green" I'm sending him away with NADA!
-Soupy1957

He needs to sell his wood for a price he can live with. If he wants to add a charge for delivery and/or stacking it, then he needs to say that up front. Then the buyer can decide if they want it delivered and/or stacked, or will pick it up and haul it their self.

exactLEE said:
Stephen in SoKY said:
Traditionally the owner of a business is never tipped. To many (Most) it would be considered an insult. Employees of businesses are tipped when they provide excellent service.

U can insult me all U want! I don't care! :)
Don't know what planet yur from . I have never seen a business owner turn down a tip.

I have delivered 1,000's of cords. When the customer hands me a tip I return it to them and say buy your kids a special gift. It is always $10-$20. I tell them Iam the owner and I appreciate their business.
Thomas

Nothing really to add here, but I've bought contractors at my house some sodas at the local store and offered a pizza which they didn't accept. They were good, hardworking guys and I appreciated it.

The only cash tip I leave is to the waiter or waitress.

Matt

Proper etiquette says do not tip the owner.
These days I tip more than I used to, particularly to people I deal with regularly. The guy at the lot where I park my car occasionally gets a buck. I guess that's not common, because he always remembers me and no matter how long I've been there, my car is at the front of the lot when I'm ready to go. The guy who delivered the firewood today on 12 pallets and was kind of screwed by the warehouse when they loaded the truck? He spent 90 minutes with my crew humping wood and doing what needed to be done without comment or complaint. He got a little extra from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.