tips and techniques on how to get most out of my stove ( heat longer and more consistent)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

usmc1775

Oct 16, 2018
ny
Hello this is my 1st year using my new stove (hearthstone shelbourne) been going good so far .

just wondering whats the best ways to keep the heat pumping at its best ash / wood/air intake wise ? after about 10 min i usually close it half way and find that worked really good for the days in the 30-40's but we had a couple days 20's and felt it wasnt pumping off the heat as well .....

When I go to work my wife will feed the stove little by little keeping it going but is this the best way or is fully loading it the best way on the colder days?

If and how ash amounts can affect the amout of heat ?

Tips for keeping the heat going consistently and most effectively ( Air / wood loading methods)

Thank you

Full loading is best for cold days. Try closing down the air further in say another 10 minutes. Try to 25% open or as far as it will go while still having secondary combustion.