Tips for quick seasoning (Fir)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seann

Aug 21, 2015
Ucluelet, BC
Ok, I'm sure this has been done to death around these parts but I'm in a bit of a spot.

This is my first winter with wood heat (just put in an insert) so I haven't been able to season wood properly in time for Winter. I've got two cords coming this week that are "seasoned" but all that really means to the supplier is that the trees (fir) have been felled for the Summer, they are splitting it before delivery so I imagine it's going to be pretty green (aka, not seasoned at all). Locally it's my only option. I only have about one month or so left of the dry wood I've got so unfortunately I'm going to have to burn the new stuff this Winter.

In the future I will plan ahead but for this year does anyone have any tips on drying out wood quickly. I live in the Pacific Northwest so it's humid and rainy. Better to stack outdoors (covered) or in the garage?

I also saw somewhere that you can build a cheapo solar kiln by lifting the stacks off the ground, wrapping in clear poly and cutting a hole in the bottom of the poly (underneath the stack) to let the condensation run out. Anyone with any tips or experience on that? Maybe better to just cover the top with a tarp and let the air get at it? Like I said it's humid here though.

Basically just looking for any tips on how to get that moisture content down quickly. I know I won't get it to be optimally dry but every little bit of extra dryness will count.

Thanks!

Loose crib stack - a decent rope about tied 2 ft higher across the top of the stack (long ways) (think tight rope) then a tarp over the rope (creates a tent effect), it keeps the rain off, allows air through, try to stack in the most windiest / sunniest area on your property.

nothing you do will season wood that fast other then buying kiln dried wood. That said if you have any new neighborhoods near you, they usually have lots of construction scraps they dont mind you pillaging as long as its trash. I get tons or 2x4,2x6,2x10 pieces 4-12 inches long. Mix that in with some so/so wood and it might get you by. You can also buy man made logs.

Reactions: dafattkidd
Inside near the fire with a fan on the splits..... Fastet way no doubt for fir although you probably only do a little at a time. Maybe the wood is from standing dead? ya never know?

nothing you do will season wood that fast other then buying kiln dried wood. That said if you have any new neighborhoods near you, they usually have lots of construction scraps they dont mind you pillaging as long as its trash. I get tons or 2x4,2x6,2x10 pieces 4-12 inches long. Mix that in with some so/so wood and it might get you by. You can also buy man made logs.
Pallet wood is usually pretty easy to find as well. I used to work at a pallet yard and we heated the shop on old slats and braces. That wood is usually very dry and non treated. Use the long 2x4 size braces as well. We used to burn wood in the stacked 55gallon drum style heaters. They would glow red and throw heat like crazy. Great filler wood, or kindling.

I've dried oak out rather quickly by stacking some loosely by the stove. Within a few days it went from 30% to around 15%. It wasn't all that much wood, and I rotated it on a daily basis.

Hello Seann,
How about heading to the bush and finding some standing dead? If its free of bark that would be even better. Keeping it to smaller diameter trees would be all the better. I know you have lots of cedar so standing dead smaller ones would be your friend.... It may not be ideal but its likely to be better than what you have coming that way you can store what you have on the way for next year. As a side not I have almost a cord of doug fir that i processed from green last February and Im still not happy with it although its mostly under 20%.

Check out Eco Bricks / Bio bricks or other such.

It'll get you through. And will help get not to seasoned firewood cooking.

Inside near the fire with a fan on the splits..... Fastet way no doubt for fir although you probably only do a little at a time. Maybe the wood is from standing dead? ya never know?

This is what I wood do. If you have room to do it safely get a bit ahead of yourself so you're constantly bringing in some wet to start curing near the stove as you're feeding the stuff that's dried the longest.

Also if any bark is on it knock it off right away. De barking fir is one of the biggest factors in how fast it dries.

Good luck! If you're running it and trying to get by check your chimney lots until you know how it's going.

As an aside I worked out of tofino and Uccy for many years. Mostly in a logging camp just north of tofino near hesquiat(sp?). Many many moons ago now though.

Put all your wood in a large crate and cover with a couple hundred pounds of rice. (Works for waterlogged cell phones!)

Reactions: BigFir
Great. Thanks all for the tips. Sounds like the best route will be to get a good rotation of wet stuff inside drying by the fire as the drier stuff burns. Getting a moisture meter so I can try a few ways and see how it goes. If all else fails I guess I'll have to try the rice ;)

Great. Thanks all for the tips. Sounds like the best route will be to get a good rotation of wet stuff inside drying by the fire as the drier stuff burns. Getting a moisture meter so I can try a few ways and see how it goes. If all else fails I guess I'll have to try the rice ;)
It's always a good idea to resplit the larger splits as soon as you get the delivery. If you can mix in some kiln dried construction debris that will help too. Order wood for next year as soon as you can. Congratulations on the new unit.

I wouldnt rule out a visit to the bush with your chainsaw as well.

As for your questions, better in a building that is kept dry and open like a carport or woodshed. Tarps let rain hit the sides and limit evaporation.

In a non cat, if the wood isn't slopping wet, just split it smaller and stack it log cabin style. It'll make heat.

In the PNW we not only are sopping wet from rain, and high humidity, but also darkness. It's only light for about 9 hours a day.

I would be looking to see how many bio-logs and how many green splits loaded together work OK as a team.

Standing dead will be great if you can find it and process it.

Check out your delivery before you freak out. I go 5 FC delivered last month and even though the guy said "I split to order and dropped it a year ago", much of it was quite dry and burns nice. It's next years wood but it was a good surprise.

The others got the details about covered, well ventilated stacks and mixing from drier sources. As for the other ideas:

I'm doubtful a solar kiln will do much for you this time of year.

Not in your garage. An enclosed space tends to trap moisture.

Anecdote - I helped a relative build an 8x16 storage shed at his cabin in Oregon (similar climate to BC). He was going to use it for firewood, tools, camping gear, etc, so I told him to make sure he put a vent near the peak of each gable end.

He put about a face cord or two of minimally seasoned wood in it (I think he said it was fir that spent a month or so in his yard before hauling it to the cabin). A couple months later he commented that both the wood stack and the interior of the shed had mold growing on them - even with the vents, there was enough moisture coming off the wood to keep the humidity near 100%, not only creating a good environment for the mold, but slowing down the wood drying significantly.

I'd store only small quantities or else already dried wood in enclosed spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.