Tips I've picked up from this cold snap...1800's barn house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I cannot tell what r value is behind the Sheetrock but it is there, I would assume r13/15 behind the walls but can’t say for sure. The roof is another story... there is absolutely zero access to see the roof insulation, no attic. Framing also looks to be double roofed as I have a skylight that is flush with the outside roof like but looks sunken 3 ft when looking up from my bedroom. Previous homeowner said “very well insulated roof, no idea what that means.

IMO the insulation of this house would get a grade or C, after I sealed a ton of draft points maybe a B-. I’ve noticed in the short work I’ve done that th house is already 3 degrees warmer running the wood stove and not changing any other variables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hate to hear of folks being cold in the winter.However if your interested in a Hearthstone one which will give you the most heat I can think of call this gentleman.His name is Randy.He rebuilds them and is in Vermont.He built mine for $1200.00 and brought it to me for $200.00 and put it in my basement.Can't beat the price and the stove is beautiful and heats like nothing I've ever experienced and I've experienced many stoves.His number is 802-279-7298.Even if you decide against going with the stove tell him about you situation and see what he says.Good Luck.

If you are looking at a super-sized stove that works on a 6" flue I think the Quadrafire Adventure III holds the current crown. It has a huge firebox and thermostatic regulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: theTroutlaw
If you are looking at a super-sized stove that works on a 6" flue I think the Quadrafire Adventure III holds the current crown. It has a huge firebox and thermostatic regulation.
Begreen that Quadrafire is an impressive stove.4.5 cubic inch firebox,41inches high,31 inches depth,40 hr burn times.That's a monster stove.Wow !

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's a beast. I'd love to see one loaded up and in operation.

Yeah, it's a beast. I'd love to see one loaded up and in operation.

The only issues I’m having are wondering if it would work with this layout. Right now I have a rear exit. Would a top be too sunken into the fireplace and draw less heat to the house? The layout is here. Never ever have a problem keeping the upstairs warm just the addition away from the house and the end of the kitchen. Wonder if the explorer iii would work for with my mantle.
dbe47adb763a32c3b761f1e4d9980f67.jpg 4c49b7e9c2dbdc897e4d047aa14b5a7d.jpg 31bc6bb8eb009049ef017240daad3cf1.jpg

The only issues I’m having are wondering if it would work with this layout. Right now I have a rear exit. Would a top be too sunken into the fireplace and draw less heat to the house? The layout is here. Never ever have a problem keeping the upstairs warm just the addition away from the house and the end of the kitchen. Wonder if the explorer iii would work for with my mantle.
View attachment 220373 View attachment 220374 View attachment 220375
Nice place! I would want as much as the stove as I could get out into the room...

Reactions: theTroutlaw
Looks like a really nice space, but it's going to need help circulating the heat.

I suspect the Quad would not fit there. What is the lintel height? A bigger stove probably will not help the addition much. That may take a supplementary heater. A lot of the hot air is going to rise to the high ceiling. That's why the loft is so warm. Are there any ceiling fans to help move the hot air back down?

For a replacement stove the Woodstock Progress Hybrid would look great there and does have a rear vent option. In Quadrafire look at their Explorer III, it can rear vent. I mentioned some other rear vent stoves that would work earlier.

Last edited:
Nice place! I would want as much as the stove as I could get out into the room...

Thanks man, we bought the Efel because my wife liked the way it looked. She actually found it on Craigslist, I think we paid $425. It puts out a lot of heat but burn times stink and the head dies fast. Looking for something we can really count on more. Burn times are important too, would like to just throw wood on it every morning and when I get home from work.

Thanks man, we bought the Efel because my wife liked the way it looked. She actually found it on Craigslist, I think we paid $425. It puts out a lot of heat but burn times stink and the head dies fast. Looking for something we can really count on more. Burn times are important too, would like to just throw wood on it every morning and when I get home from work.

Have you considered duct work run from the peak of that high ceiling pulling that heated air back to the main floor level? I have seen it done in a converted Dutch style barn and it works! He framed it in...I don't remember what type of fan he used. I remember he had a filter on it.Not sure if his ceiling height was as high as yours but it was substantial.

Are there ceiling fans over the stove area?