Tired

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

struggle

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2006
NW Iowa
Since getting the soapstone stove I have cut my wood usage by at least a third and have done very little cutting and scrounging in the last three years as I was quite far ahead on my wood supply.

This week at the farm I walked the grove and found a lot of 8" diameter ash trees down and some bigger. So I got after them twice this week and then today again with a friend. Today we used the tractor to move the wood and all I can is I am out of shape. It has been some time since doing this.

I now have a good pile of wood to start splitting and still a lot more of these trees to clean up. I know if they are not cleaned up in the next couple of weeks the grove will be over run with grass and will not be very cutter friendly.

I now know why I have been gaining weight. I just have to keep going out there and working at the wood pile.

Ohh and I drooled over some new Dolmar saws today at the dealership. If my Stihl's should ever give out I know what I am buying next.

As we age, we get out of shape surprisingly fast! Then it seems to take twice as long to get back into shape. But cutting and splitting wood will help a lot as long as you are careful. Just remember that it can be very easy to pull muscles or even ruin your back. Go slow, go easy. When you get tired, stop immediately! It is when people are tired that accidents seem to happen very fast and easy.

Nothing against Dolmar but I think that you have all the saw you need with the Stihl. I have two Stihls and don't really expect them to quit soon. One, a 029 is 21+ years old and the other a 025 is about 2 years younger. I had a buddy try to run over the 025 with a truck but it's a stubborn saw and don't show any quit. Maybe I can suggest a way out of the dilemma??? Buy the Dolmar to help the economy get back on its feet but keep the Stihl on hand as an emergency back up saw for the next wind storm or two to let a buddy use while he/they drool over the Dolmar. Sounds like the best of two worlds eating your cake and Stihl having a piece to share.

Backwoods Savage said:
As we age, we get out of shape surprisingly fast! Then it seems to take twice as long to get back into shape. But cutting and splitting wood will help a lot as long as you are careful. Just remember that it can be very easy to pull muscles or even ruin your back. Go slow, go easy. When you get tired, stop immediately! It is when people are tired that accidents seem to happen very fast and easy.

Very good advice and ain't those things the truth!

We went out yesterday to cut, and its pretty sad. I was more winded from walking 1/4 mile across the field than I was from cutting for 3 1/2 hours.

I worked yesterday on the wood pile from about 8 till 4. Very sore today, with the help of a friend we cut up 9 logs. Still a bunch more to go but it's supposed to rain until thrus. Luckily it will give me time to recover.

I did get out with a friend and cut some more last Saturday and I was feeling a little better. It seems like everytime out I feel better. Of course on Saturday we were also using a tractor to carry the wood back to the storage cribs instead of me hoofing it myself. That makes a big difference.

Where I cut in the grove I have a relatively small window of time to get logs out before the grass starts coming up and making things tough. SO it is kind of bust hump time for me. My staging area is unaffected by the grass so my goal is to the bucked logs to the crib and then I chose my time to split when it fits my schedule.

I am to young to feel tired from doing this work at 37 but like I have said I have done very little cutting in the past three years and now I am paying the price for it.

It does help one sleep well though.

Yes, it does help you sleep better and the whole thing is good for your body as long as you are careful. It's good that you are getting it out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.