to OAK or not to OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a minimum diameter for an OAK? I think I'm going to make one and plumb it through the basement and out from there. I don't want to go through the wall because I have a split face block house. I don't want to go up because it would look silly.

Turbo-Quad said:
Is there a minimum diameter for an OAK? I think I'm going to make one and plumb it through the basement and out from there. I don't want to go through the wall because I have a split face block house. I don't want to go up because it would look silly.

That's the frustrating thing! They go to great lengths (Quad) to explain in detail how to calculate EVL for the exhaust but never mention OAK length or diameter. I used a 5' piece of 2" diameter steel flex for my insert to get to the ash dump since the hole for the OAK was 2". However, for my other insert where I don't have an ash dump (interior wall), I have to go 17' up the chimney. I plan to use 2" to get outside the stove and then transition to 3" up the chimney to reduce any possible restriction.

If I were you and you are snaking the pipe around quite a bit, I would use at least 3" for the same reason. If you restrict the supply of air to the burn pot, you're affecting the burn rate as well as the amount of work the combustion blower is doing to suck that air into the stove.

Does the overall length matter? Yes, but to what extent? That's the ultimate question. This your combustion air, but it is also a "Vent" to keep pressures in your at house at normal levels.
Your right about the Manf providing something for the OAK. About the Diameter and Length? Flow Charts?
As with all vehicles there are limits and restrictions to the Diameter of Exhaust and overall length. To short, long, diameter sizes, and you will be faced with to little or to much Back pressure problems and will affect performance (in vehicles).
In stoves it would work the same way. The longer the run of OAK, the bigger the inlet should be. FordMastertech would definitely know more on this issue.
I believe as long as your "bumping up to 3" and your at 20' length it should be fine. Can you check what your combustion blower is puling in volts before you hook it up. Then check it again after OAK is installed to see if your drawing more?
And I will agree that Milwaukee does make some good tools. To each there own. I honestly bought the DeWalt kit because I liked the colors (and I have a Dewalt compressor-200psi). Good luck and def report back with results tjnamtiw..

:) I was going to make a remark about the DeWalt color too but decided not to. ha ha ha. You can't misplace a DeWalt, that's for sure.

Good idea about hooking up an amprobe and reading current before and after the OAK install. Wish I had thought of that!

Well, you trip for OAK parts got a rude detour this morning when I woke up with what appears OUCH to be a kidney stone coming!!!! DAMN

Status
Not open for further replies.