To Retrofit Cat or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkyal

I have been furiously reading the forums since I discovered this site a few weeks ago and would like to thank all of you for being so generous with your knowledge, opinions and experiences.

I have a Elmira Fireview 900 that I inherited with the house. It has a 6" single wall connector of about 14' to make a total of about 22' of chimney. On cold days it has excellent draft (600 F with the damper fully closed).

Initially I was planning to just put in a flue damper (for better regulation and longer burn times) but I'm wondering if a retrofit Cat (like: http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/20455/products/Catalytic-Add--On-Stove-Damper.html) would be decent option. I know some people have had poor experiences with these but I have plenty of draft ( which will improve when I move the stove 16" to eliminate the two 90's) and the stove is a little small for the area and burns spruce most of the time (ie it usually runs hot). I'm thinking I should get a probe thermometer to see that I can get the ignition temp easily where the cat would be.

Also I was planning to replace the connector with an insulated one - would this negate some of the benefit of the cat? Has anyone had positive experiences with this type of add-on? Thanks in advance for any info.

I am by no means a wood stove expert, but my main reservation with a cat element in my stove pipe is the high localized temps that a cat sees. My cat can operate at 1250 + at times. I know I wouldnt want that kind of temp in my stove connector pipe. I beleive that is why modern cat stoves install the catalyst in a refractory housing, to protect the rest of the stove material from the extreme heat. Just my 2 cents.

I have never had one of the things but they have been around since the 1980's and I have never heard one positive word about them. There may be people that use them effectively but I sure never have seen or heard of any of them.

Cat stoves have a chamber for the cat that dissipates the high heat produced into the body of the stove. In a stove pipe I can't see that heat going anywhere but up to the sky.

So maybe a cat then a reclaimer?(then insulated pipe to keep the little heat that's left) Anyone here tried this combo?

no to the add-on cat and a bigger no to the heat reclaimer. The cat needs to be in a hi heat environment that's why they are built into stoves. The reclaimer takes too much heat from the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.