To Shipper50 re: ceiling fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
I know the norm is to run the fan pulling the air up, hence forcing it back down around the walls. But you may want to try and set the fan to blowing down, try on lower speeds first to try and avoid a breeze on you. Remember each home is different, and with ceilings that high, you might benefit by blowing the hot air that is up there back down. Worth a shot anyways.

Web, I am not sure why you closed a thread that was getting many responses. I see you feel it had alot, but why cut it off?
Oh well, your site, your rules.

I have tried my fan on both directions and it seems to work better drawing instead of blowing down. Also, my fans are 3 speed and I only run them on low.

I will look seriously into the block off plate and see how it works. I just got a whole truck load of shag bark hickory from a buddy today and will see how that works too.

Thanks again
Shipper

Hog, it was going way off topic re: the dealer, etc.....too many pages to read through.

I think that the issues are fairly clear and out there - and would rather address other things in new threads.

My experience with ceiling fans is that down is the way to go. That makes a lot of sense for this reason - the ceiling is a cold place.....as if any exterior wall. You would not take a fan and blow air against an exterior wall.....that would transfer cold from the wall. After all, why heat the wall or a ceiling??

So I agree with Hog - down and very slow......

I have tried both direction as well, but it is much warmer pulling the air up. My ceilings are up to 17 feet high with a loft on the 2nd floor. Its toasty up there and real nice on the first floor.

Columbus has not been real cold - perhaps down to 15. Some guy in Cincinnati said it was 5 degrees there when it was nearly 18 degrees here. Amazing since it is quite a bit south of Columbus. Perhaps he counts windchill.

Pull the air up. I also find it much easier to keep the house warm now that it is actually cold outside.

Webmaster said:
Hog, it was going way off topic re: the dealer, etc.....too many pages to read through.

I think that the issues are fairly clear and out there - and would rather address other things in new threads.

My experience with ceiling fans is that down is the way to go. That makes a lot of sense for this reason - the ceiling is a cold place.....as if any exterior wall. You would not take a fan and blow air against an exterior wall.....that would transfer cold from the wall. After all, why heat the wall or a ceiling??

So I agree with Hog - down and very slow......
thanks for clearing that up for us...I agree, I have 21 ft peak in my cedar home, and blowing down works!!! with 8 or 9 ft walls, it shouldn't even be an issue. with a 64 in fan, on low, it keeps the warm air where I need it, heat will rise to my loft naturaly

I noticed that running my fan on medium instead of low was a HUGE improvement over how it moved the warm air through the house. I rotate the fan clockwise. Even with an 8.25 ft ceiling, the fan is enough to eliminate the need for any other fan in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.