Today's job was replacing a stove with an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Keyman and I replaced a free standing stove with a used Lopi Freedom bay insert. The freedom bay was about 8 years old bought on Ebay for $575.
it was in real good condition. quite heavy around 450 lbs and has a 2.8 cu ft firebox even the bricks did not have any cracks and the burn tubs were fine .Hopefully Keyman will post some pictures

First a word about the existing stove and installation. It was a Combo coal and wood burner Nashua vintage early 80's in great condition with the shaker grate in place really this stove is best suited for coal fires the firebox is really too small for wood It is in such good condition that Keyman was drooling when I told him he could have it.

Corie it would have been worth the drive up here if I gave it to you all internal bricks are original and in tact no warpage and no signs of ovrefiring. It was installed with common black connector pipe to an oval block off plate opening. The original Installer severely crimped the black connector pipe to fit threw the oval damper block off plate and it made it only about 50% past the plate. A real dangerous situation, one that I told the current owner not to burn it ever again. Naturally we had to move both stoves over a set of stairs and an on foot raised heath. Never fun working with 450 lbs. but good planning and preparation the move mad it without a glitch .

A word about the existing chimney: I built the home in 1981 the flue was just cleaned w by a chimney sweep he did a decent job. the location id an interior and clay flue 12/12 straight shot,
I bought a Magnaflex liner again a good value liner, represented among our membership here. Second installation within a week using Magnaflex liners. Man. real value per quality liner

The hardest part of the install was cutting the cast iron damper. Well the sweep did a decent job but the soot ended up deposited behind the damper plate I was cutting, mask breathing filter what a mess. Really I earned my money from the crap falling down on me I wore out 2 cutting wheels and had to take 4 breaks to get all the crap out from under my clothes everywhere .I took a shower at home black soot covered my underwear. It was that bad. I paid the price here soot hot metal filings all over the place then finally the pipe of soot crap falling down when i busted out the damper cut out. the linner easily pulled threw and now it was time to raise the stove to the hearth. Keyman took care of dropping the liner from the roof. we used a wrecking bar and blocks to inch the Lopi Freedom up to hearth level I used 1/2' gas pipe pieces placed under the insert to roll it in and out to set the final position
The Lopi Freedom has a unique option of being able to be a blower convection stove and the ability to pull it out and expose a radiation stove, we lined up the liner and its flue collar adapter and were able to line up the liner and flue collar exposing the exact radiation part of the stove perfect could not be better. Keyman removed the rollers. then headed to the roof with the grinder he made the final cut of the liner. He installed the chimney flange then the supplied roof cap. high temperature silicone caulk to seal the opening . Meanwhile i assembled and installed the surround panels. All that was left was to pickup the tools andplanks needed to preform the installation Total price for the stove liner and installation $1500 I split the $500 installation cost with Keyman A rugged day for $250 ,but $250 more than I started with ,for both Keyman and me. This installation was for a life long friend d still in my old neighborhood

Another smoke dragon eliminated

Status
Not open for further replies.