Today's Scrounge--post the free btu's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
7c413f9350693373a73ef0f6e8e11787.jpg

My neighbors 200 year old oak.. he wants to keep most of it! :( and he doesn’t burn wood. Go figure lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used an old hand railing, some pieces of lumber, and stones to build the rack. All of the wood is from dead or dying trees on our new property. The stack is two rows.and I've spent an hour or two a day over the last week. It's probably 80% white and red spruce and 10% birch.

Attachments

• 20181123_114530.jpg
    20181123_114530.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 345
I scored over 40 10' wide pallets (free) from my work. I used my work truck to bring them all home to dump in my driveway.
Three loads in all. The cleanup & stack phase is on hold due to rain today.
Quite a few will be used to build a wood storage shed, the broken ones will be burned.

Attachments

• pallet score.JPG
    pallet score.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 336
  • pallet score2.PNG
    pallet score2.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 353
This is the first of six trees an older lady needed gone. A company quoted her $600 to get rid of them. I need firewood and she's a family friend, so I did it for free. The trees are all red and white spruce, probably 14" across at the base. Plus she gave me some sweet house plants, so that's rad.

Attachments

• 20181124_145023.jpg
    20181124_145023.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 283
Took me a couple days to scrounge this pile. Neighbor is building a house and cut a few trees, he was trying for a month to get a tree service to haul it away. I volunteered to help get rid of it. The pile is about 60 feet long. Oak and maple, got the brother in law helping, half will still give me a few cords.

Attachments

• 0C6CD4FA-8C20-44D2-B9EA-F9638A74DB9A.jpeg
    0C6CD4FA-8C20-44D2-B9EA-F9638A74DB9A.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 327
If the Dogwood is over 12", then that's a big Dogwood. Very very slow growing, super dense, Burns well. Most of it probably doesn't get big enough to need splitting. But I'm sure there are exceptions out there. Kevin

no pics from saturday's scrounge, but I finally had some time to go out back and cut down 3 of the standing dead elms that were waiting for the saw. They were pretty small, around 8-10 inches, so I don't even know if they will get split! I also cut up a standing dead black walnut that was getting a little punky, but it will still burn. It was around 14" around, and was nice and light. I bucked up some choke cherry that I took down a while back, and stacked up 1/2 cord of mixed fruit (apple, crabapple, cherry, peach, and pear) that has been drying out for a while.

I still have a huge pile of maple that needs to be split and stacked... eventuallyit will happen!

New to this forum. I have developed a bit of a mania scrounging free firewood off Craigslist. It is starting to get out of hand. I agreed to take all of a fir tree sight unseen, that this is what I ended up with. It about killed me loading/moving it all myself. More than I really needed, or am set up to store as I already have about 5-6 cords CSS on my suburban lot. We have been super cosy this winter though since installing a stove last spring.

vZ8K6v%nRQG6lxLUwxqrLQ.jpg

I used an old hand railing, some pieces of lumber, and stones to build the rack. All of the wood is from dead or dying trees on our new property. The stack is two rows.and I've spent an hour or two a day over the last week. It's probably 80% white and red spruce and 10% birch.

Nice way to store your unsplit rounds. Looks pretty similar to what I'm using right now. Mine are set up with three 2x10x12 PT boards on eight cinder blocks per stack with garden stakes at the ends. Pallets just don't hold up here on the ground. Each stack is two wide of 16" rounds and is a mix of red oak, ash, beech (lots of beech), paper birch and maybe a few other odds and ends.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to start splitting soon (there's about 2" of solid ice under the dusting of snow in the unplowed areas). Always fun splitting wood wearing micro spikes. None of it should be needed until early 2020 so plenty of time to dry.

Attachments

• 20181230_133528.jpg
    20181230_133528.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 267
  • 20181230_133608.jpg
    20181230_133608.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Reactions: Lone_Gun
Nothing major compared to what a lot of the posts here show but it works for me for today. A couple of healthy paper birches came down a few storms ago so I finally cut them up and brought them out of the woods. One was about 32' and the other about 40'. Largest was about 10" at the base. The fun part was cutting them old-school style with a one-man crosscut saw and then carrying everything out on snowshoes. Good cardio workout for an old man.

20181231_125945.jpg

Nothing major compared to what a lot of the posts here show but it works for me for today. A couple of healthy paper birches came down a few storms ago so I finally cut them up and brought them out of the woods. One was about 32' and the other about 40'. Largest was about 10" at the base. The fun part was cutting them old-school style with a one-man crosscut saw and then carrying everything out on snowshoes. Good cardio workout for an old man.

View attachment 237092
That rocks...

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Reactions: EODMSgt
Got back to my neighbor's yesterday. Split more of the wood he saved for me. Have about 6 rounds left that I will need to shave a few inches off and/or noodle to split.
He also let me borrow his truck to haul it back to my place.
Based on the size of his truck bed, I am few clicks shy of a cord of wood. Front stack is oak, back stack is pine.
When I finish the remianing splits, I have close to 2 cord of wood total.
f296e77fb001247c4feddd8c7c38d8b1.jpg
8cfd15fc4d49221ffadebb7cb52347a6.jpg

If it would ever stop RAINING I’ve got loads of fresh oak... ugh I need to pick up and buck.... by hand of course [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Church down the street has 2 pine trees they cut down and would like someone to take. Another neighbor told my son that she has an oak tree that was cut down, and world like someone to get. Need a break in the weather also...I feel your pain.
At least my mighty, mighty, Fiskars is getting a workout ( me too actually).

Neighbour's tree fell in my yard, I guess that count as a scrounge.
P_20181222_130748.jpg

I'd like to get some wood split, but we got 3 inches of rain yesterday...
P_20190103_151859.jpg

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Just found the site. Can’t believe there are so many like
Minded people.
Couple pics of an oak my neighbor wanted taken down.
Got almost two 16’ trailer loads from it.

Yeah, we're all enablers here . . . :)

Welcome Junior . . . here we don't judge folks who have a "thing" for firewood. :) You should fit right in.

Reactions: Junior
Had a bit of time yesterday so I took the gator out on the trails behind my house. Have permission from the owner to take anything dead. Found a nice maple near the trail to cut up. I was lazy so I only took the trunk, you can see where I stopped cutting by the sawdust haha.

Not much but free wood and an excuse to get outside is always a win

Attachments

• 20190105_121418.jpg
    20190105_121418.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 243
  • 20190105_122001.jpg
    20190105_122001.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 263
Local furniture builder presses all their saw dust into pellets. 15 five gallon buckets and six grocery bags full. They also put out all their cut offs as seen on the right. I try to raid this place daily.20190117_170346.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: