too many sparks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

palenville5

Dec 20, 2007
catskills, new york
My `94 whitfield quest has recently seemed to throw more sparks out the chimney then usual. I believe I have a problem with my combustion control damper. Isay this because it appears no matter which way I turn the know the rflame doesa not change its burn pattern. Does anyone know what I need to do to get at the damper, i.e. is there a cable from the know or is it a direct link ? I am quite familiar with the stove as I clean it very well yearly, taking the back off and getting all the ash and dust out. I have even on occasion had to remove the auger to clean the ends of the shaft becaus ethey have gotten to the point where the auger wouldn`t turn

Comments of this draft control are appreciated
Rick

are sparks out the chimney ever acceptable? The only time I ever see sparks is when I have an excess of "fines" or sawdust in the pellet mix-it basically ignites instantly and exits the stove-never makes it to the burn pot.

Yes , they are out of the chimney, I spoke with the store I bought the unit from and they say some sparks are acceapable. and I should try and adjust my combustion air, this is where the ? comes in about the thing, I tuern it all the way both ways and see no change in the flame..I also tried a "better " grade of pellet too.

I noticed that when I started buring Pennington pellets that I started getting a lot more sparks flying around, as compared to the Somerset I started out with. Seems to jive up with what pete324rocket was saying about fines and dust - the Pennington pellets are much more dusty than the Somerset.

This thread is going to make me go stand outside and watch my exhaust! lol I've never seen any come out but then it's on a side of the house that I rarely see unless cutting grass. :-/

As an aside, related to Peggy's comment... Don't want to hijack the thread here, though...

One day, had trouble with the exhaust on my stove (clogged) so it was spewing black smoke....couldn't burn clean. Anyway, got it fixed up and went in to work the next day. Wife calls, says the neighbor called complaining there was soot all over the side of her house, and the wife said it was all over ours too. Hmmm. Could be, but I doubt it, based on the way the wind blew the night before. So, I go to the store, get supplies to power wash the siding off. Get home, and determine after looking for 3 seconds that soot is usually not green, and this was, in fact, north side of the house mold. Being a nice guy, I power washed the siding anyway... But it was funny to see my wife and neighbor freak out over nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.