Too much air or too little?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

You'refired

Dec 12, 2017
Canada
I own a Heatilator Eco choice PS50. Pleased with how he heats my century old sea captain's house but in the last few days things have changed. The heat output is great but I am now getting black glass within a few hours of cleaning it. Haven't changed pellets but have bought a new batch since this started and still no change.

I think soot means not enough air, so I took the door apart and made sure there was no soot/ash blocking the air wash and made sure the ash drawer was shut tight as well as ensuring no blockage in the burn pot.

The thing is if there was a lack of air wouldn't my flame be lower? It is yellow/orange but is as high as can be with stove on a medium setting. I have adjusted the feed rate lower and no change whatsoever.

Only thing I found that could contribute was the spot under the ash drawer that allows air flow, it had been nearly closed, likely due to removing the ash drawer, that has since been re-opened but again seeing no change in soot or flame size. Thoughts?

Sounds like the new batch of pellets are a little different, needing a little more air, or a little less pellets. Try closing the feed rate plate in the hopper 1/4” at a time giving (30-45 min between adjustments.

This is just a guide
FC5B2E8E-D81A-4D33-898C-2B02F81C5D2B.png

Reactions: bags
Thanks. When this started I thought it might be pellets as I bought a different brand. But I only had a couple of bags of those and then went back to my regular ones and have bought those in small batches but on 2 different occasions so I keep thinking that should rule out the pellets as the cause. The only thing that has changed recently is we have a bit warmer weather with less wind. I just started to adjust the feed rate so will keep doing so to see if that helps, frustrating thing is other than the soot and flamethrower like flame the stove is pumping out the heat and seems to be burning less pellets.

Thanks. When this started I thought it might be pellets as I bought a different brand. But I only had a couple of bags of those and then went back to my regular ones and have bought those in small batches but on 2 different occasions so I keep thinking that should rule out the pellets as the cause. The only thing that has changed recently is we have a bit warmer weather with less wind. I just started to adjust the feed rate so will keep doing so to see if that helps, frustrating thing is other than the soot and flamethrower like flame the stove is pumping out the heat and seems to be burning less pellets.

I have primarily burned many tons of Somersets here and always very good and very consistent pellets and burns both heat and ash wise etc. This season I did notice a different burn on one complete ton that I burned. I usually buy 4-5 tons each season all at once. This particular ton had me pissed off in a bad way. They burned and were hot but WOW what a friggin mess ash wise. It was out of control. SO yes, pellets can vary a lot even within the same brand and so forth. I have a local friend who has been heating with pellet stoves and mainly Sets for 10 years and he also had the same exact experience with a ton of Sets he bought this year.

So if you give a look over and check out your stove and everything is good then it is very likely a different batch of pellets. Check your door seals also because if worn they can contribute to the dirty burn problem.

Last edited:
One thing when was the last full tear down and clean (all the hidden passages ?
A high lazy flame and dirty black glass indicate to me lack of air .
I would start with a full deep cleaning