tool hooks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Charles2

Feeling the Heat
Jun 22, 2014
GA
I put up some open OSB shelves next to my woodstove to hold kindling and other related supplies. Now I need to find some small black hooks to hang a couple of tools from the end of a shelf. But I'm not finding anything suitable locally or on the internet. What do y'all recommend? What I'd like is some J-hooks that are partly round and partly flat - the round part holds the tool and the flat part gets screwed to the shelf.

Ace Hardware.

christmas stocking holders....

or your local blacksmith :)

That's small enough, but they need to have right angles to attach to the top of a shelf.
Uh... they're wrought. Just heat and bend! Release your inner blacksmith.

S hooks will work too. Either drill a hole for them to hang from or bend the back tab. Rattle can them any colour you wish.

i am thinking about some of these
s-l1600.jpg

to put in the stone behind the stove...

Reactions: Ashful
I think those are intended to be driven into wood, not stone.
with enough force, they will work in stone :)

it is stacked stone, and there are some decent gaps. they are sort of like petons... i also wouldn't be putting much weight on them

A single-sided conduit strap is probably exactly what the OP is after, costs about 15 cents, and is available at any home depot / hardware store.

Use a machine screw and a tee nut; a wood screw isn't too likely to do well in OSB once it's under load.

Unless you mean that the shelving is MDF or particle board/melamine (both of which are common shelving materials that sometimes get confused with OSB)- I wouldn't hang a hook off of either one of those compressed sawdust products.

82d90f16-f366-467d-9a4e-d33766fc8950_300.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TreePointer
A single-sided conduit strap is probably exactly what the OP is after, costs about 15 cents, and is available at any home depot / hardware store.

Use a machine screw and a tee nut; a wood screw isn't too likely to do well in OSB once it's under load.

Unless you mean that the shelving is MDF or particle board/melamine (both of which are common shelving materials that sometimes get confused with OSB)- I wouldn't hang a hook off of either one of those compressed sawdust products.

Worth considering if they came in black, but the wrought iron hooks look best. I do mean OSB. What's a T nut? Same as a wing nut?

Which is easily scratched off.
Yes but that is what the majority of the black hardware you will buy is. You can also heat treat it that usually will blacken steel. Heat it up with a torch then drop it in water or oil. What we have used many times in the past are just cut masonry nails they work well and look pretty good also.