Tool Set Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinlp

Aug 9, 2006
Hyde Park, NY
Gents,
I still have to purchase a tool set for my stove. I have a couple questions as to what is really needed?

From the reading I have done, it seems like the ash rake is the #1 tool, followed by a poker.

My stove has a grate on the bottom with an ash pan below it. Will I really need a shovel?

Is there any use for the broom, or would a simple whisk broom work. How often do you use it?

Should I get one of the woodstove sized tool sets (~20") or is a regular fireplace set fine (~30")?

Thanks!

I like the longer tools, nothing like the smell of burning hair in the morning. I dont realy use a ash rake, mosly a poker and shovel with broom. Any broom will work, just straw ones arent to good when hot coals spill out. I would just buy a 5 piece tool set that has most all the stuff in it. I use the log grabbers on ocasion when a log rolls out. I dont use it that often, but when you need it you need it. Dont buy tools with thread on handles or the business end. Make shure there pressed or welded. they always come unthreaded.

Hummmm , Different strokes for different ....... Woodstoves ? I use an ash rake and DONT use a poker nor do i use a shovel . I use a kitchen hand held broom / scoop combo for any ash that might get on the hearth ( normally rare ) I have the ash pan system on my stove and it works great , no shovel, no bucket , no mess . Normally the newer modern EPA wood stoves don't need "poked" at and the wood load is to run it coarse before reload. My .02

I probably use the poker like most use a rake, i just dont have a rake. I do poke my wood down when there coals, to compact them and make them last alittle longer.

MountainStoveGuy said:
I probably use the poker like most use a rake, i just dont have a rake. I do poke my wood down when there coals, to compact them and make them last alittle longer.
Actually i haven't seen any rakes for sale local and have only seen a few per the Internet. Most of what you find is the fancy stuff that you dont need or use and is more along the lines of setting next to a fire place for "looks".

Nice choice! thats one of my best sellers. Its a little short for my tastes, but its a good set. For somereason, i like to mess with the fire when its the hottest. My set is the one on the left. It has cork handles, like my fly rods :D

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 798
MountainStoveGuy said:
For somereason, i like to mess with the fire when its the hottest.
Your Avatar explains that ...........Ha. The set i posted did look a little short but the wording/sales pitch sounded so good .

i edited my last post with my toolset. Pilgram makes some nice stuff. Its all usa made (for now) and its heavy. I got my set for free, for some reason we could not give away a $350 set of tools from europe, so my nice employer gave them to me.

O' I see ....... Now were posting pictures , alright .... Get ready for "beta" revision of the ash rake. Edit: Make that the Beta verision "REDNECK" ash rake. $2.00 ( whada~ya mean it look like a cut and bent shovel!? :) )

Attachments

• P9130423.JPG
    P9130423.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 798
thats definalty some foxworthy sh_^ he he he. it sort of looks like that shovel on that website you poseted. i love it. I will stick with my mac and my cork handles. :)

LMAO ! When you spend all of your piggy bank on a new wood stove and pipe ..........A MoFo gots to do what a MoFo's gots to do. I was actually building different tools to see what worked best before i fabricated my own set , the bad part is what my bro came to visit this summer he like them so much he took my set with him . Gots to get back to the shop and re-fabricate another set before winter .

no offense roo, come on, i was kiddin, its late and now im a few beers in. it looks like a very functional tool. If you put some cork on it, i will buy the roo special.

MountainStoveGuy said:
If you put some cork on it,
Whada ya mean put a cork in it .............Wha-di say !? O' Put a cork "on it". I -C . Captain Morgan's getting empty .........where did it all go ? Is it only mid-week , wow.

Yeppers , Later brother man ........ ( i get back on here tomorrow and read the forum and try to figure out what the heck all this was about ."Who posted with my user name" ? )

Kevin, I have a grate W/ ashpan system too. I use a poker for almost everything. If I need to rearrange pieces already in the firebox, and the poker isn't getting the job done, I put on my trusty firefighter/ welder gloves and move logs around as needed.

Chris

Nice looking tool set. Too bad I didn't see that when we were looking for one.
I think I might have broken a firebrick (it was the lightweight type) on my last stove with the pointy poker.

I had a local blacksmith make my tools. I use a poker and a ash shovel. I had a pair of tongs, but bent them in short order. Best "tool" I have is a pair of Iron Pourer gloves.(What is used in a foundry.) Kind-of like welding gloves but much thicker. If a log rolls or needs moved. I can just pick it up.

Kevin, your Morso should have come with a tool set... a nice thick poker, a handle for the ash pan, and an insulated mitten to protect your pinkies. Contact your dealer if you didn't get them. I found myself not using any other tools with my 2110. When I had the Jotul up at the end of the year, I found I went back to using two different pokers, a mini-rake, and a shovel.

What a coincidence that I am reading this tonight! I had some time to kill late this afternoon so I made my own tools. I've been meaning to do this for a year. Nothing elegant as you can see, but quite functional and I think they will last. Probably another month here in Virginia until I can try them out.

I need to make a stand but have some ideas and vintage pieces to help out with that.

Attachments

• tools_close.jpg
    tools_close.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 364
  • tools_stove.jpg
    tools_stove.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 365
wahoowad said:
What a coincidence that I am reading this tonight! I had some time to kill late this afternoon so I made my own tools. I've been meaning to do this for a year. Nothing elegant as you can see, but quite functional and I think they will last. Probably another month here in Virginia until I can try them out.

I need to make a stand but have some ideas and vintage pieces to help out with that.
HEY , That rebar looks real nice on the final out come of the tool. Now that an ash rake my brother.

wahoowad said:

Very nice Wahoo. I couldn't wait any longer. Warm Virginia or not. It got to 59 outside and I had to fire the little Jotul. Now that the urge is sated I can wait till it gets cold now.

After searching through some old posts on tools (namely my inquiry from last season) I am now concerned my poker might be a little short in terms of heat radiating onto my hand. I don't want to wear a glove to poke the fire although I guess I usually only poke when loading, so maybe I'll already be wearing a glove. I can always add a shield if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.