Toomer's Corner Oaks - coming down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basod

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2009
Mount Cheaha Alabama
I know outside of the South no one really follows college football - down here it's second only to that thing they do on Sundays(and Wednesdays).
Incase you haven't heard what happened to the trees:
Auburn fan put a Cam Newton jersey on Bear Bryant's statue
Retaliation led an Alabama fan to poison(heavy herbicide) the Toomer's corner trees - no one knew
Until he called Finebaum's radio show and bragged about it, leading to his capture and I think he finally confessed.

Well no firewood in these suckers - all being made into souvenirs
http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/04/auburn_oaks_at_toomers_corner.html

Not a big fan, but that is sick. ;sick

College pranks there will always be but that does not mean they have to be destructive. That fellow can thank his lucky stars that I will not be his judge.

It's funny though. I never knew anybody played football in the south until I was around 30 years old. Before then I thought it was only the Big Ten, UCLA and a couple others on the west coast. ==c

Reactions: ScotO
The guy that poisoned the trees, Harvey Updike's, lawyers actually tried to get him off on some old(late1800's) law that would have required him to pay~600 in fines.
That didn't fly he ended up pleading guilty and got 3yrs - probably won't serve 6 months

The guy that poisoned the trees, Harvey Updike's, lawyers actually tried to get him off on some old(late1800's) law that would have required him to pay~600 in fines.
That didn't fly he ended up pleading guilty and got 3yrs - probably won't serve 6 months
Do you know how it poisoned it? What he used?

Status
Not open for further replies.