Top down reload?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Flashback87

Aug 19, 2020
Ohio
I've had my tn20 for a month now. I'm very pleased with the heat output and burn times. I've been a massive fan of top down burns when I had an open fireplace . I've been doing the same on a cold stove but I'm wondering if anyone does this when the stove is warm with coals?

For instance, when I came home today the stove top was at 200 degrees from fire this morning. So, I put 3 logs on the bottom n/s, then 2 above that n/s with a couple layers of kindling and them some newspaper knot on the top. The bottom row started to lite from the coals but the top took off nice with secondaries kicking in very quickly reducing smoke.

My issue is this is very difficult to do if the stove is any warmer due to it being so hot inside and the challenge getting kindling on top of the load and not get hands too hot. My welding gloves are too difficult to lay the small kindling.

I like the idea of having a flame up top to reduce smoke when reloading.

So, do you try to reload with a top down on a warm stove and if yes, what's your approach?

Wondering if the 2 cubic ft firebox on the tn20 may be the issue but is seems some really jam there stoves with splits so not quite sure how one would get kindling on top of that.

Thanks!

It's good to hear that the TN20 is working out well.

I only top-start with a cold start of the stove. As you have mentioned, doing this with a hot firebox is a challenge.

Reactions: Flashback87
I also do top-down builds from a cold-start, but I don't bother from a warm start over active coals.

I usually stir the coals to shake off ash and bring the buried chunks to the surface, then leave the door open for a couple minutes while I gather and choose the fuel wood pieces that I'm going to try to fit into the stove. While the stove door is open, the coals will get very excited/hot with ample access to air. This heats up the stove walls and the bottom of the baffle such that when fuel is loaded, not only do they light up quick, as soon as the door is shut the secondaries light up almost immediately because the baffle was pre-heated by the radiating coals.

If the coals are particularly weak/few, I'll place a couple pieces of kindle at the base opposite the direction of the fuel logs to prop the logs up above the coals to avoids smothering the weak coals, lay in the fuel wood and hit the smoldering/smoking wood with a torch for a few seconds to get over the hump from smoking to flaming faster.

I usually put 2-3 pieces of kindling on top and bottom of a reload. No need to get it arranged well and paper probably isn’t needed. I live in the city and try my best to keep my smoke to a minimum. This helps a lot especially if grabbed a wetter split or two.

Good info and thank u all!

I figured I was probably over thinking it but there are some new approaches I can try here too!

If you could scoop all the coals out and then replace them on top I think you could do a top down reload.

I’ve never gotten it to work though.

Good info and thank u all!

I figured I was probably over thinking it but there are some new approaches I can try here too!
That's half the fun IMO, trying different things. 🤗
My stove is an E-W side loader, and sometimes if there's not a ton of coals, I'll shove them to the back. That way, I can start a top-down in the front and it will take most of the oxygen from a low or medium air setting, and the wood on the coals in back won't take off right away. This gives me time to get the cat burning well before introducing more smoke from the bigger splits in back.
If I have more coals, instead of a top-down I'll throw a little kindling on the coal up front and let that get burning before adding a few bigger splits one or two at a time, to keep the flames eating the smoke for a cleaner restart.
You might need to tweak that procedure some for a N-S burn, as you mentioned in the OP.
If you could scoop all the coals out and then replace them on top I think you could do a top down reload.
I've done that as well but yeah, it's hard to do, and more messing around..

I've tried that too. Doesn't usually work that great.

Since its so hot and jammed tight, it challenging to try a top down on a warm stove, I've started just putting kindling in different locations to encourage faster lighting. I like to put some east/west right in the front after i rake coals up there. That seems to ignite quick and encourages quick flaming of the log.

Kind of just accepted that some smoke at start up seems inevitable.

I agree with wood stover that it's pretty sweet just trying different techniques.

Thanks!

Reactions: EbS-P
i also do a top down i put 3 to 4 layers of criss crossed 1 inch kindleing and put a top or bottom of a egg crate on top light it and close the door and leave it. if trying to top down fire with wood smoking from putting splits on coals sometimes the smoke can over whelm the fire and put it out

i also do a top down i put 3 to 4 layers of criss crossed 1 inch kindleing and put a top or bottom of a egg crate on top light it and close the door and leave it. if trying to top down fire with wood smoking from putting splits on coals sometimes the smoke can over whelm the fire and put it out
Yes the smoke from below can choke out the upper fire. That’s also why I only light top down from cold starts only at the top. No paper our other starters in the middle layer, just the top only. Then you don’t get the choking out of the top flames.

Reactions: fbelec