Torn on helping a neighbor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mpaul

Burning Hunk
So a neighbor approached me this past weekend and showed me three large ash trees that he had taken down about two years ago. They’ve been laying in his back/side yard ever since. He says I can have them if I want and he’d love to get his yard cleaned up.

I have a tree service company who delivers logs free of charge anytime I raise my hand. I have about 10 cords CSS and expecting another cord to be dropped off at my doorstep in the next week or so.

So I’m a bit torn. Do I be a good neighbor and help clear this guys yard out and get some decent ash? It would not be easy to get to given the location. I don’t have any way of pulling it out of there so I’d have to buck and spilt on location based on the location and size of logs.

What would you do?

Make your first cut, and inspect. You will have a little, or a lot of rot.

Reactions: VintageGal
Yea, Ash laying on the ground for a year or more usually not a good recipe. As said likely some or a lot of rot. Especially if the bark is still on. Same goes for Hickory.

I will help anyone, its a character flaw I have. I would do it, just because they asked you, they must want to help you out. It may not be worth it, but getting along is even more important. My neighbors tree limb fell, right thru the windshield of my car. He paid for it but I asked him to cut the rest down, he did. Cant we all just get along? Oh the old times.........

I’d cut it it up for him. Would he be able to move it split or unsplit? That’s where the time is.

How about explaining that you have plenty of wood but are willing to help him clean it up. Instead of him paying someone to haul off the wood, you would take it home if it wasn't rotted. Not saying this is the case, but some people don't think through the situation. He might think he is doing you a big favor, not wanting to help, feeling good about himself, and is getting his trash removed for free. Or he could be wanting to help clear, haul, split and stack it at your house like a good neighbor would do. Laying it all out at the beginning will get everyone on the same page and eliminate misunderstandings.

How about explaining that you have plenty of wood but are willing to help him clean it up. Instead of him paying someone to haul off the wood, you would take it home if it wasn't rotted. Not saying this is the case, but some people don't think through the situation. He might think he is doing you a big favor, not wanting to help, feeling good about himself, and is getting his trash removed for free. Or he could be wanting to help clear, haul, split and stack it at your house like a good neighbor would do. Laying it all out at the beginning will get everyone on the same page and eliminate misunderstandings.
The situation you describe here is fairly accurate. He’s not a relatively handy person and he approached me thinking it would be a win win. Free wood for me and cleared yard for him.
I explained to him the amount of work it would take to clear it out and that I would think about it.
I typically am that good neighbor who helps everyone out. Just not sure I have the amount of time needed to help him with this. I have a full time job and I’m a single dad on top of it to twin girls.
Hence why I’m conflicted. I want to be that good neighbor and help out. I just don’t think I have the time that would be required to complete this job.
Really enjoy reading all the advice here though. I appreciate everyone’s feedback.

Reactions: StudlyHogly
I was a single Dad for about 3 years, til I met my wife. Trust me, I KNOW you dont have a lot of spare time, I would tell him you could do it, but in stages. Like an hour here or there. Free wood is like Mecca....good luck man!

Reactions: mpaul
I’d be tempted to take him up on the offer. But it depends on how much clean up is involved. If he just wants you to take the big stuff that’s fine, but if he wants you to clean up all the limbs and brush, that’s too much. So maybe make a deal where you take everything big enough to be firewood, and he takes care of the smaller stuff.

To me it seems unfair for your neighbour to ask you to do for free, whatever it is you do for a living.
Sounds like the trees are not in a great spot and possibly rotten, which nobody will want.
I would be tempted to go over with the saw and buck a couple of rounds off to see.
A little bit of charity goes a long way, especially if he helps, then realises how much work it is.
If he wants to look out the window and watch, however...

So a neighbor approached me this past weekend and showed me three large ash trees that he had taken down about two years ago. They’ve been laying in his back/side yard ever since. He says I can have them if I want and he’d love to get his yard cleaned up.

...It would not be easy to get to given the location...

What would you do?

I would say, "I'll take them. Stack them *insert place in your yard* and be careful!" (add an appreciative smile, like this 🥴)
You might have to set some pallets in your yard -- for extra temptation, to mark the spot, and set the challenge to see how serious he is.

Watch over a few days to weeks, to see if he takes the bait.
Sometimes, neighbors will be cautious, and just look around confused.

Peer out your windows and if you catch him outside looking at his downed trees, and then sprint out to your
pallets and wave invitingly, or even point while smiling.(Be careful and don't spook him)

If you get home one day, and see free, zero effort wood on the pallets, break the silence, and say 'Thanks, neighbor!' with a thoughtful smile.🥴

NEVER fall for the trap yourself, and volunteer to take it, even worse if HE watches and doesn't help....nope!

If it requires ANY effort on your part, reconsider, then see replies relating to being a good neighbor of posts above mine.
How big are 'big trees'?(diameter, length, most important -- time invested!)

SeanGalt makes another good point, the retrieval could be the major deterrent. If you could roll it DOWNhill from his yard to yours, it's not as bad as bringing it UP a monster of a slope(or hole) just to his yard, then up hill more to yours...
If you help, agree with DonTee, only process the logs, large limbs, and leave very small limbs and brush to him, only.

Now your tree guy drops off logs, but you gotta buck and split them, so is it THAT different to help a neighbor who puts up with your smoky wood heat at least some of the time blowing across his yard? The retrieval could make or break even a good neighbor effort.

You could always Be That Guy who posts on FB, or CL. "3 Free Ash trees, seasoned, easy to get to, you cut. $100 for all. PM for directions".
You get $100, neighbor gets yard back, someone gets *cough* 2 years seasoned wood. 3x win!😈

Last edited:
I love free wood. Helping neighbors is a plus. If he is willing to help and if they are in good shape, go for it.

I just scored almost a cord of maple from a guy just down the road. It fell over on his camper and smashed it. I drove by and saw them breaking off branches. I walked over and asked if they wanted help getting rid of it and he said I could have it. I told him i would cut and haul it and he said he would help load it. He then said I could have the rest of the trees when they came down. Some ash and big maple. Maybe a whole year of wood for free. It pays to be neighborly.

Reactions: DonTee
If you can't access wood, it is tough, but if you are able to get a splitter and trainer of some sorts back there, just cut and split it all in place, that leaves all the mess there, get it to your place and he could finished cleaning up / raking up the rest in his yard. This past two years, my uncle has had a bunch of trees cut down. I cut them all up and processed them all at his place, split right into my trailer and then just hauled them home and stacked them. It worked out great, because all of the mess was left at his place and he cleaned that up.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Absolutely. We just cleaned up some splitter mess today and had 2 full 5x8 trailer loads for our compost pile. I have read that the bar oil will break down quickly, so I hope it's ok.