Tornado Downed Trees - Spring 2006... Still good to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJRages

Oct 20, 2009
Mid Missouri
I have the privilege of having family that owns about 20-25 acres of tornado damaged hardwoods. The problem: I'm wondering how long the wood will be "good" before it becomes too rotten to burn for heat? The tornado went through over three years ago. Most of the downed trees are oak, black locust, hickory, hackberry (all the typical Missouri fare). I helped my cousin with several loads yesterday. We have barely scratched the surface of how much wood is on the ground. Most of it looks great in the middle of the cuts, but the outer inch or two of the rounds are rotten. Anyone know how fast this decay will progress?

Thanks!

It will vary by species. I bet alot of it isnt touching the ground which would help it last longer. With that much acreage, you should have many years of wood supply.... get going!

I cleaned up some long lengths that were about 7 years old last spring. If it was on the ground it was gone, if it was on some that was on the ground, it was questionable, if it was on that third course up it wasn't too bad, if it was fourth course up it was good. This was just more evidence of why i don't stack right on the ground. not even for a year.

my experience was with mixed wood---> mostly oak, walnut, maple but with some other undeterminables

if you've got downed trees that have main trunks propped off the ground, then you will be good to go for sure.

The locust ought to last a long time, but others wil rot faster. If you're short on time, and everyone is, I'd try to cut it into four or five foot lengths, short ehough to handle, and stack it off the ground. At least that should keep it dry and slow the rot down. Maybe you can get a couple of years' supply up off the ground this way, then cut it for the stove at your leisure.

Wood Duck said:
The locust ought to last a long time, but others wil rot faster. If you're short on time, and everyone is, I'd try to cut it into four or five foot lengths, short ehough to handle, and stack it off the ground. At least that should keep it dry and slow the rot down. Maybe you can get a couple of years' supply up off the ground this way, then cut it for the stove at your leisure.

+1 good idea

We had a tornado go through here in June of 2004. That fall/winter the loggers cleaned up what they wanted. Some of the oak tops and rejects are still laying around and when I find them I cut them up and they are in good shape yet (white and black oak). The exception is the stuff that the skidder ran over and pushed tight against the ground. Those are now too rotten for firewood. Otherwise, if it's just lying on the surface or propped up a little off the ground, it's prefect wood.

Thank you for the responses.

The power of the whirlwind is amazing. Some trees were spared (mostly the smaller ones). A few of them snapped off half way up the trunk - the tree top then falling within 30 ft from the base, most of the large trees were completely uprooted and laid sideways. Several of the snapped off trees have survived, grown back partly, and now look like some sort of scraggly forest-bush. :)

I like the idea of stacking the fallen logs to prevent rot. We may try to do that to ensure a longer burnable life. Although some of the largest trees have a 2-3 ft diameter and would be difficult to move. Looking forward to getting back out there again soon.

If they are huge trunks, cut them into rounds and stack them off the ground. You'll have wood forever.

Since you now have a lifetime supply of wood, which not everybody has... and can establish good 'trails' or access to your wood, I say go buy a tractor with a front end loader and call it even.

Kubota BX series?

Keeping it off the ground & dry is the key. Good cutting.
PS: Pay attention out there, trip hazards, spring loaded timber, leaners etc. Lot of traps. Stay safe.

derecskey said:
Since you now have a lifetime supply of wood, which not everybody has... and can establish good 'trails' or access to your wood, I say go buy a tractor with a front end loader and call it even.
Kubota BX series?

There is already a tractor on the property. No loader, but the tractor does pull an old rusted wood haulin trailer! Woohoo!
Alas the tractor and land are not mine; however, I've only been authorized access to some of the wood.
:)

Very good point on the dangers of the woods. Lots of things to trip over out there. Leaning trees are dangerous to cut down.

If you need to use the tractor, work a deal to provide some stacked wood to the owner, for sale or personal use.

Status
Not open for further replies.