Torque Wrench

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Battenkiller said:
kettensäge said:
Years ago I got some help from a co-worker familiar with engine rebuilding. It was my first car and engine rebuild. I had a beam type wrench and was talking with the guy and he offered to bring his clicker over and "supervise" the assembly. We set the crankshaft and began tightening the main caps with his wrench. We went in steps as recomended. He set the wrench for the correct torque on the first step and started tightening. Tighter and tighter until the bolt snapped. He looked at me very surprised and wondered why the wrench never clicked. We got the broken bolt out, got a replacement and finished assembling the engine with my Craftsman beam type wrench. That was in 1982 and I still use the same wrench to this day.

Clickers are more accurate, faster, and easier to use but they must be turned back to zero torque after use and must be stored properly to prevent problems.
Beam type wrenches are adequete for the average guy and even good enough for a backyard mechanic. I have used mine to assemble at least a dozen engines from a 4 cyl. Subaru up to a street/strip 355 SBC without a problem.
I would suggest a 1/4 or 3/8" drive clicker and a 1/2" beam type for the bigger jobs.

Most newer engines bolt torques require an angle gauge as well.

I had a decent beam-type torque wrench many moons ago, but I never used the thing and damn if I know where it went. I think it was a SK brand, which were pretty good tools at the time. I had acquired a fair amount of tools way back before I got married, back when I actually believed I'd someday do a complete rebuild on a nice small-block Chevy engine. I kinda lost interest in working on cars after all the electronic ignition and emission stuff came out and you needed to be a rocket scientist to understand how to tune the damn thing. I would love to go back to the days when you opened the hood and it was all just there in front of you, easy to access and disassemble. Nowadays I look inside an engine compartment and it looks like a mass of robot intestines. Close the hood, call the tow service.

Like many of my age, I go back to carbs, points, and a dwell meter and a timing light (don't know where they are either) to set the dwell time and spark advance. Since then my mechanical abilities only extend to brakes, plugs, wires, batteries, lights, oil changes, and the occasional cobbled up exhaust parts MIG welded together. I suppose it's never too late to get back into the game, though. Heck, I just bought a code reader, so at least I might have an idea where to start.

So far, I used it on Lady BK's Jetta when she had a flashing trouble code pop up. PO301 told me "Misfire on cyl. 1", so I bought plugs and wires and started there. Number 1 plug (originals I discovered, with with 120K on the car) had a honking huge gap due to a gouged out ground electrode. Changed the plugs, reset the code, ran it again, no codes found... returned the $80 wires to Advanced Auto and got away with a $15 fix. Kewl. If I had that thing towed to the VW dealership they would have told me it needed $1000 worth of work, guaranteed.

I hear that. My first car was a '66 Chevy Malibu. Super easy compared to todays stuff. I basically moved away from fixing the deeper problems on newer cars once OBDII came out. My scan tool works up to the 2000 model year. I still wrench on my Dodge (94) and the wifes Subaru (98), but if my 06 Chrysler decides to act up in any way other than basic problems most likely it will be a dealer service call. My chrysler has no less than 9 different modules (mini computers) that communicate with the main computer. :ahhh:

kettensäge said:
I hear that. My first car was a '66 Chevy Malibu. Super easy compared to todays stuff. I basically moved away from fixing the deeper problems on newer cars once OBDII came out. My scan tool works up to the 2000 model year. I still wrench on my Dodge (94) and the wifes Subaru (98), but if my 06 Chrysler decides to act up in any way other than basic problems most likely it will be a dealer service call. My chrysler has no less than 9 different modules (mini computers) that communicate with the main computer. :ahhh:

Welcome to CAN Bus networking. It actually works just like Ethernet and we were seeing it on brand new John Deere 8000 series tractors a few years ago too. Depending on the options installed there could be up to 24 (or more, who knows now!) modules talking in that tractor!

Status
Not open for further replies.