Total noob here, probably a stupid question - long

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firegurl71

Hearth Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Bucks County, PA
We live in a single-glazed, poorly insulated rented house. It's about 50 years old. When we first looked at the place, the landlord said that we wouldn't be able to use the fireplace because it's "broken". When the house was built, the footings for the chimney weren't deep enough, and in the past 50 years, the chimney has started to pull away from the house. It hasn't moved much, but if you stuck your head in the fireplace, you could see a little daylight (this has since been insulated and sealed to help prevent heat loss).

The landlords aren't willing to get the chimney fixed or rebuilt (don't blame them, it's expensive from what I hear), and we can't afford to fix it ourselves.

Our oil contract is for $4.29/gallon, and while we've insulated the windows with plastic film and warm curtains, the floors are very cold (there's no insulation between the basement and first floor). We'd like to not have to use as much oil (or electricity for small heaters), so we're going to ask if we can put a wood stove in the fireplace. Before we do, I'd like to be armed with good information in order to answer any questions our landlord may have.

My parents have offered us the small Jotul that's been sitting in their garage since they got a larger wood stove a few years ago. It's similar to the 602, but doesn't have glass on the door.

My question is this: Given the fact that we have a "broken fireplace", is it even possible to put a stove in or in front of the fireplace and run stove pipe up the chimney without having the chimney rebuilt? We want to do this to save money and be "greener" by using less oil and less electricity.

Thanks,

Hannah

firegurl71 said:
We live in a single-glazed, poorly insulated rented house.

Thanks,

Hannah

Just a quick thought before you spend any money or time on this - I don't know of an insurance company that will allow a wood stove in a landlord/tenant situation. That's probably more of the reason that he's not going to fix anything.

I'm in a rental property with a wood stove...

However, if your chimney is "broken" then that should be read as "not to code". You probably won't be able to install a stove or an insert into a hearth/fireplace that is not to code. I can't give you much more info than that, but there are lots of pros on this site who will surely chime in with more info.

If it's not ok for an open fire then it's definitely not ok for a stove. Stoves produce more heat and are very heavy on a crumbling mortar hearth. The best suggestion I could tell you is to move. I did one of those rent an old house for a winter and it isnt fun even in Georgia. The only heat I had was from a space heater. When you get into old houses with bad windows, etc.... it probably has a very inefficient furnace too. You end up spending way more money than if you had just gotten a nicer place in the long run. It was my case anyway.

Class A chimney is $23/ft (around here - at Lowes). Pretend the masonry chimney doesn't exist. Tell the landlord that he can get more RENT $ if he pays for a new, modern chimney system. Not more rent $ from YOU, of course - YOU had the idea and maybe supplied some/all labor to install.

Forget the chimney and find a new place for the stove. Then do your homework on a freestanding wood stove and pipe.

Forget the wood stove firegurl71 ...did you ever think of using the ceramic light type space heaters?
Supposed to be real nice for the room you're in and the electricity use in minimum. Wish I could remember the name...but this time a year I think you could get a deal at a BB store.

Status
Not open for further replies.