Tragic, but serves as a you can't be too careful reminder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adkjake

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2010
Adirondack High Peaks
I didn't personaly know this man, but knew of him by reputation. Even the professionals are at risk. Be careful out there fellow hearth.com members.

March 25, 2013
Keeseville man dies in logging accident

By ASHLEIGH LIVINGSTONPress-Republicanhttp://pressrepublican.com/
KEESEVILLE — A Keeseville man died Saturday morning in a logging accident.
According to Plattsburgh-based State Police, Daniel R. Laduke, 51, died after a tree he was cutting down fell on top of him in the woods behind his home at 44 Mace Chasm Road in Keeseville.
There, Laduke’s body was discovered by a friend at 11 a.m.
Police believe the accident occurred sometime between 7:30 and 11 a.m.
Upon arriving at the scene of the incident, members of the Keeseville Fire Department and EMS, South Plattsburgh Fire Department and New York State Forest Rangers verified Laduke to be deceased, according to a media release from State Police.
He was pronounced dead at the scene by Essex County Coroner Francis Whitelaw and transported to Adirondack Medical Center in Saranac Lake, where an autopsy was performed Sunday by Dr. C. Francis Varga.
Varga, the release said, determined Laduke’s death was caused by crush injuries to the chest as a result of being struck by a falling tree.
Laduke, who is survived by his wife, Michelle Laduke, owned and operated North Country Tree Service in Keeseville.
“I am an ISA (International Society of Arboriculture) Certified Arborist with 30 years of experience in the pruning, treating or technical removal of trees and hedges,” the longtime woodsman wrote on his business’ website, treedoctor.org.
Laduke also indicated on the website that he held degrees in biology, chemistry and agricultural science.
“This knowledge and experience allows me to treat our North Country trees with the best possible care,” he wrote.
According to police, Laduke was wearing protective gear, including a helmet, chaps and steel-toe boots when the accident occurred.
Whitelaw ruled the manner of death to be accidental.

Reactions: smokinj
Wow. Makes me think of my uncle reading that. Sad to hear

Wow. You never know when something can happen.
It seems more tragic when most of us are out there doing
just what a professional man does every day. I'll pass this on to my son as
we fell a few trees every year. Very sad.

That's indeed a sad , and tragic thing to read about . My heart goes out to his family and freinds.
But thanks for the reminder that this can happen in the blink of an eye ,and that complacency can get us in deep trouble .

That's indeed a sad , and tragic thing to read about . My heart goes out to his family and freinds.
But thanks for the reminder that this can happen in the blink of an eye ,and that complacency can get us in deep trouble .

Even very good skills just get you into deep trouble that much quicker.....

Status
Not open for further replies.