Transitioning from black pipe to chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

metelskiy

Nov 18, 2021
Beaverton, OR
Hello, I’m brand new to wood stoves, just bought a house that had very nice hearth so I decided why not. Bought a stove, now trying to figure out details of chimney install. Mostly I understand but I do have one confusion. Went to Coastal Farm & Ranch for help. They recommended to buy support box 6DT-CS11 and also chimney adapter 6DL-ADC. My understanding that I can go directly into support box with black pipe, please see two pictures. Help me understand, do I need an adapter between box and black pipe?

55D77185-BFA1-4CEA-B146-BB7A5C85F48B.jpeg 297646EC-DDF5-4379-9FEF-F23CAFB46472.jpeg

Hello, I’m brand new to wood stoves, just bought a house that had very nice hearth so I decided why not. Bought a stove, now trying to figure out details of chimney install. Mostly I understand but I do have one confusion. Went to Coastal Farm & Ranch for help. They recommended to buy support box 6DT-CS11 and also chimney adapter 6DL-ADC. My understanding that I can go directly into support box with black pipe, please see two pictures. Help me understand, do I need an adapter between box and black pipe?

View attachment 285767 View attachment 285768
Do you have an existing chimney?

Yes, Chimney to box connection is twist lock, it’s clear to me, I just need to confirm black pipe to box connection.
So you don't need a support box you just need to figure out the brand and get the pipe adapter

So you don't need a support box you just need to figure out the brand and bet the pipe adapter
Sorry, I think my explanation wasn’t clear. I have DuraTech class A chimney, I have DuraVent support box, I have DuraVent stove black pipe. My question is, do I need adapter between black pipe and support box? I physically was able to Insert black pipe into support box without any adapter as shown on picture in original post

Yes, there should be an adapter ring. There are a couple options for DuraBlack pipe. Part 6DVL-ADC is the trim style plate shown on the right.

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 8.57.06 AM.png

Last edited: