Trash in the water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's a monumental problem. The numbers are staggering and getting worse.
"Although the exact amount of plastic in the oceans cannot be accurately quantified, it is estimated that 150 million metric tons of plastic circulate the world's oceans. Furthermore, an additional 8 million metric tons are added annually. It is estimated that 250 metric tonnes of plastic will be in the oceans by 2030, and by 2050 there will be more plastic in the oceans than fish"

"The scientists figured roughly 15% to 40% of that littered or dumped plastic enters the ocean each year. Adding together all 192 countries in the world with a significant coastal population, the researchers report online today in Science that about 4 million to 12 million metric tons of plastic washed offshore in 2010 alone, or about 1.5% to 4.5% of the world's total plastic production—enough to cover every foot of coastline on the planet. That's just the beginning of the problems, the team says, as scientists still don't know where more than 99% of ocean plastic debris ends up—and what impact it's having on marine life and the human food supply. What's more, the authors predict that the annual amount of plastic waste tumbling out to sea will more than double in the next 10 years."

When I've been in the Caribbean I noticed the resorts clean the beaches every morning to avoid scaring the tourists away. Once you get off the resort beach you start seeing all kinds of trash on the islands.
Even on the Georgia coast you see a lot of plastic in the marshes.
I'd say 90% of the toys in stores are plastic. All the containers in the grocery store are plastic. A lot of new furniture and homes have plastic components.
It's overwhelming.

... and that's just the plastic you can see! Imagine the total tonnage of microplastic bits floating around as a soup in our oceans, due to UV breakdown of all those bottles and packaging. I wonder if there might more unseen, than seen!

The majority of the US has clean water laws that require waste streams from getting into coastal waters. Sure there are probably Walmart bags getting into the water, but the reality is the majority of the world still uses the rivers and ultimately oceans as dumps. The Chinese have big issues upstream of their major dams and have to install and clean booms frequently to catch the floating trash. Its far more of third world issue than a first world issue. Sad to say its ultimately a world issue as they stuff stays around for a long time.

Reactions: Ashful
I see lots of boater trash along our southern coastal areas. It's unreal how much trash gets tossed overboard or left behind after a stop on a beach area. Where/how did these folks grow up? Hard to believe.

I see lots of boater trash along our southern coastal areas. It's unreal how much trash gets tossed overboard or left behind after a stop on a beach area. Where/how did these folks grow up? Hard to believe.
Power boaters. :rolleyes:

Sailors tend to be neater, as a group. :p

Reactions: moresnow
Plastic pollution is ubiquitous. It is entering river systems in the 1st world in unexpected locations, like downstream from textile factories in the UK. Everytime clothing with synthetic fibers is washed, some of those fibers go into the sewers. Airborne nanoplastics are possibly worse. There is nanoplastic dust floating all around the planet. It has been found in the most pristine snow capped mountains. The level of plastics pollution is to the point where it has entered our bloodstreams.

In spite of this, the fossil fuel/chemical industries are dramatically ramping up production. We have engaged on a massive ecological experiment for the sake of profit and convenience. I don't think this will end well.

Reactions: moresnow