Travis Industires FPX 36 Elite Catalytic Combuster Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kubota

Nov 6, 2010
Southeastern Oklahoma
Hello all!

Would anyone happen to know where I could acquire a service manual for my fireplace? I have a Travis Industires FPX 36 Elite I purhased and had installed in my home in 2000. Specifically, I believe that the "Catalytic Combuster" may require replacement and I would like to see if that is something I may be able to replace myself. I consulted my owner's manual recently, looking for some explanation for the low heat output from my fireplace, and I believe that a faulty or worn out catalytic combuster may be the culprit.

Thank you ahead of time to any respondents.

Kubota, after 10 years it probably does need replacing and you should be able to do that yourself. Hopefully someone with that stove will chime in here. If not, start studying the stove and see if you can figure it out.

You might also look here: cats

it slides in and out on the damper mech... pretty accessable take a look.

I looked around a little bit in there, and from what I am able to see I am going to assume that the metal screen on the front face of the catalyst enclosure is supposed to be removable, followed by, what I assume, are the honeycomb catalysts themselves??

IMG_0369.jpg

Or is that honeycomb-like facing the actual catalyst? I have the stove burning right now or I would attempt to wrangle with it. Upon inspection of this picture, I may have figured it out... Correct me if I am wrong. That piece of 1/2" flat plate supported by the two 90* bent pieces on each side should slide out of the front of the stove, and the catalyst assemblies should be accessible...?

Your FPX 36 looks like my 44.... removing the cat is really easy. It is all 1 piece, like a rectangular box - about 4-5" deep. It slides out (towards front). You may have to tip it up a bit as your pulling it out. I take it out a couple times/year to clean it. After 10 yrs it probably should be replaced but you may want to try cleaning it as a short term attempt (brush and/or vacuum).

this web site has some good info

http://www.woodstovecombustors.com/maintenance.html

Got Wood said:
Your FPX 36 looks like my 44.... removing the cat is really easy. It is all 1 piece, like a rectangular box - about 4-5" deep. It slides out (towards front). You may have to tip it up a bit as your pulling it out. I take it out a couple times/year to clean it. After 10 yrs it probably should be replaced but you may want to try cleaning it as a short term attempt (brush and/or vacuum).

this web site has some good info

http://www.woodstovecombustors.com/maintenance.html

Got Wood,

Is there a gasket around the Cat. If so, do you normally replace it when you take it out to clean?

It slides forward, then kinda at an angle, just wiggle it around til you figure it out. Looks like it may need a good cleaning/vacuum/blowing and may come back to life for awhile. There is a gasket around it which looks like some kind of asbestos material (or ???) with metallic particles in it, and also some other kind of insulation on the sides. My gasket basically fell apart first time I took it out and I did not replace it, but it really didn't seem to make a difference since the air gap around the cat was minimal. Until mine looks like it's crumbling or cracking or I feel like it's not working, then I'll replace everything, but otherwise just simple maint seems to do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.