Travis tour - Building the Endeavor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I took the Travis Industry factory tour a few year ago. It is a big place and a fascinating process to watch, but they don't let you take any pictures. Too bad. The big fellow with biceps larger than my thighs hammering the texture into the custom FPX surrounds was impressive. Yes, it is a hand-hammered finish. Today I stumbled on this video which shows a lot of what we couldn't photograph. This is how the Endeavor is built.

Holy cow. There’s a lot that goes into making those stoves. I can understand why stoves are pretty expensive items. Cool video.

Reactions: ewok_1968
Factory tours are always fun. Last one I took was at Two Roads Brewery, tastings along the way. Worked on a video once at Sikorsky helicopter factory. Miles of factory floor, much of which, get this, original maple floor laid butt end up. 2" x 4" blocks for miles. Huge stamping machines and milling stations. Most impressive was helicopter blade fabrication. All hand made, similar to how an epoxy fiberglass kayak is made. Hollow and gas filled with a sensor to detect any leak and a layer of metal "fiberglass" for lightning. I was told that the real money is actually made on these blades over the life of the chopper as it has to be replaced after x amount of hours.

I have enjoyed many a factory tour . . . did the Vermont Teddy Bear factory our and Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream tour (wife won a free ice cream when we were challenged to ask a question which the tour guide could not answer -- my wife's question was how much money did Ben make the previous year).

Also went to Quebec for the BRP/Skidoo snowmobile factory tour which was pretty neat as they had very old stamping machines working nearby state of the art robotic machines.

My dad was an engineer at Sikorsky, 1965 - 1979, when he retired.

Louisville Slugger factory tourcwas really neat.

Binney & Smith (Crayola Crayons) was neat, too. The crayon smell as soon as you opened the door.