Travis ZC inserts: Rainier or 1750i?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt Ski Bum

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2011
Dillon, Mt
To all who have been following my continuing saga of what to do with an inefficient cheapo ZC fireplace in a place I'm moving into this spring, I am now swayingaway from replacing the entire unit, & am starting to think an insert would be better (cheaper, less work, removable, doesn't permantly alter existing fireplace). I am debating between the Avalon Rainier & the Avalon/Lopi Spokane/Republic 1750i... I like the looks of the Rainier slightly better, & I also like how it has a more flush-fitting look than the 1750's stove-sticking-out-of-fireplace look, but I also am attracted to the 1750's .4 cu-ft-larger firebox (1.9 on the Rainier vs. 2.2 on the 1750). I was told at the Travis dealer in Bozeman that the 1750 would be slightly cheaper than the Rainier, even though it is a larger unit, but they also said they have a used Rainier that they recently took out (apperantly the guy who had it decided he wanted a larger unit) that they could sell me at a discount (they took me into the back room to show it to me in person, & it looks like it's in excellent condition).

So, enough with my back-&-forth rant, does anyone have any input, advise, suggestions, etc... on this? Thanks in advance!

btw- the gal at the Travis dealer also told me that Travis is working on hopefully getting some of their larger inserts certified for ZC installs within the next few months, further complicating my decision!

I bought a used Avalon 1190 last year. I didn’t think I would like the flush-fitting type but man, we love to use the stove top for cooking. I got a cast iron pot from Dutch oven from Lodge marked 10 ¼ and 8 and a trivet (I am going to get one more for the inside for chicken) and I make great chili and spaghetti. You set the top at 400 degrees and the food cooks in about 2 hours. You don’t pay for propane, gas or electric to cook. And since it sticks about 6â€more of the heat stays in the house than the flush-fitting type. My 2 cents.

I would tend to go the route of installing a ZC approved insert rather than the major remodel that would be involved in replacing it with an efficient ZC. I would recommend going with a unit that sticks out of the fireplace, not only because it has a surface to heat something up on (I'm sitting here right now with no power heating water on mine) but also it's much more effective getting heat directly into the house.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
I would tend to go the route of installing a ZC approved insert rather than the major remodel that would be involved in replacing it with an efficient ZC.

Which is exactly why I'm deciding to go the insert route :)

I'm no expert, but I really wouldn't count on removing the insert and re-activating the fireplace in the future. I think they always wind up doing stuff to them.
My insert mounted flush. I had one that stuck out, and it had a bigger firebox and heated better and worked better in a power outage, but with this one, the hearth didn't have to be modified, and the wife liked it better that it didn't take any more floor space. Put it this way, I bet I could've won out if Quadrafire still made the 2100i like I had before. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.