treated wood and steel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
I set up a little sideshed to a prefab shed to house my splitter in using ACQ-D type treated wood, I didn't realize that the ACQ is corrossive to steel which is the nails and brackets I used to make the shed. I'm not going to wake up tomorrow and find the shed on the ground with the nails missing.. How worried should I be about this? Is there some kind of coated steel nail that is used for treated lumber? Should I add some brackets to the joints? I could see this being a problem if I was making a deck out of it, but should I be concerned with my existing structure?

Some pictures of the sideshed:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cycleslugyahoo/Projects#

I am planning to add a roof to it and sides and I'll try to use the right kind of nails for it, but since the only load I expect it to hold is snow, I think I am OK with the steel nails in it now? Agree??

Jay

There are coated screws which are less corrosive.
I would screw all the important bits.
Brackets are amazing and add tons to the support.
Why use nails anyways? Nails suck imho. Screws never back out and hold better.

The corrosion will take awhile.

Actually, I used bolts for the brack to shed application, since there is no backing on the shed walls for a nail or a screw to hold. I used 6D 1 7/8" nails to nail the 2x4s to the angle joists by the shed walls and just 10d coated sinkers to connect the 2x4s on the far side of the shed..

OK, I will go pick up some of those SS or galv nails at lunchtime today to use for my supports and roof.

Thanks!

Jay

I like the T-25 ("torx") drive "bronze" screws like the ones shown on these websites:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/1024-FTY/10-x-2-12quot-FH-Yellow-Zinc-T25-Star-Drive

http://www.screw-products.com/green.htm

The home dope in my area don't stock them, but OSH and some of the local Ace / True Value hadware stores do. They "bite" so much better than phillips-drive screws and seem to hold really well. I've only used them for short-term projects, but the 2nd link above is for "ACQ Compatible" screws. Don't know if the ones I bought from OSH are "ACQ Compatible" but they sure seem strong.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Simpson / Strongties makes a line of double coated galvanized steel brackets and nails that are supposed to be specifically intended for use w/ pressure treated wood. The Home Despots in my area at least carry them... Note that Simpson documentation says NOT to use screws with most of their brackets, instead to stick with their coated nails.

If you are using screws, Deckmates and possibly some of the other brands are also supposed to be treated so as to be OK w/ PT lumber.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.