Tree ID and health question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfitz3

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2015
Northern Michigan
My best guess is basswood or cottonwood. I'd love to know for sure. On the image of the trunks, there are numerous breaks in the bark which feels like it is separating from the wood, but only on the two larger trunks. The third appears to be in great shape. If this is diseased, would you harvest now or wait for it to become plainly obvious, possibly waiting for the tree to die first? image.jpg image.jpg

Basswood for sure.
Perfect for kindling or quick fall fires. Don't bother if storage space limited.

I can get these to fall within easy chain distance for the tractor...if they fall on their own, it could be another story. I think I'll leave them for another season...maybe the bees will make some use of them next spring? I'm still working on next season's good stuff now, so waiting for low end wood is a good idea for now.

I'll have to think about breaking out the carving tools and having some fun with some of it when it comes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.