Tree ID, Elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mrd1995

Burning Hunk
Feb 21, 2020
North East, Pa
Found this tree down about 100yds from our yard, chipped into it with an axe wood is good and sound still. Was about 10ft from a stream bank and the roots rotted away and uprooted. Was originally thinking Elm? That was my only guess. I didn't think it was a Maple.
20200328_110535.jpg
20200328_110703.jpg
20200328_110716.jpg
20200328_110605.jpg

Basswood?

Could be elm... Don't they usually lose their bark pretty quick though? If it's solid like you say, cut it up and split it. The grain characteristics should give more clues...

I got it cut and split in half stacked. Found a few limbs and I am now thinking Willow, when I was splitting it there was enough water and the density was so low I was getting splashed with water/sap. For once I am not exaggerating at all. If it wasn't easy to retrieve I wouldn't probably bother with it. I will grab some photos tomorrow of the splits, they almost peeled sapwood from heart wood.

Basswood?
It could be, I looked at basswood on the web. The bark looked similar but a little more "flaky". Wish it had some intact limbs, I can work with limbs or leaves but some bark is tough.

Some additional photos, I would love to figure it out for my own personal satisfaction. BTUs are BTUs to me plus we have a lot of shoulder weather here.
35322.jpeg
35321.jpeg
35319.jpeg
35317.jpeg

That's not Elm. Elm doesn't split like that and
the colour is not right

Reactions: Stinkpickle
It's not elm. Elm is really 'tied together' - fiber wise and your wood looks loosely tied. It looks like willow to me, too. Was it growing in a wet area? And if willow, wood isn't wood when it comes to willow - maybe good for kindling.

I'm thinking cottonwood. It has large grooved bark, grows near the 'crick', and I've been told it sometimes will make the saw throw water. I've never split it tho.

My guess is willow.

Reactions: mrd1995
You could be right cause I have no experience with willow......
Me neither, and from what they say, I'm glad I don't. ;lol

i'd say willow... but i could be mistaken.

Willow trees commonly grow next to water, like you've stated. I have cut some willow and I remember that orange tint on the cut wood. Once the wood is dry if it is very light it is probably willow. In your area there are many better trees for firewood.

Willow trees commonly grow next to water, like you've stated. I have cut some willow and I remember that orange tint on the cut wood. Once the wood is dry if it is very light it is probably willow. In your area there are many better trees for firewood.
@byQ Thank you for your reply I appreciate the in person insight. I agree we have plenty of Oak, Ash, and Cherry. This one was lying close to the house and on a proposed walking trail we are cutting in on our new property. I definitely would not pay to receive it but free wood is free wood even if for a campfire!

Reactions: johneh and andym